Getting wood from a sawmill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davic

Established Member
Reaction score
Yo! I was wondering if its worth getting wood from a local sawmill for garden furniture? They supply softwood 'green' and not planed and thought it might be a better idea than a timber merchant.

What are the pros and cons of this? I understand that I would be planing the wood myself...

Depends on the style of furniture you are trying to achieve,

kiln dried oak: consistent style, expensive
green oak: Rustic effect, cheaper but can be a might unpredictable

what´s the thickness of the wood?
i was told it takes more or less an year of drying for each inch of thickness - give or take. this may be a gross generalization and i´m sure different species will loose/gain moisture at slightly different rates, but it gives you an estimate.

what wood will you be buying? treated pine around here is so cheap it´s not worth the hassle to do it yourself, IMHO.

all the best,
Miguel.

Hi

Up here in Scotland we can get Larch from sawmills quite easily. Its ideal for rustic garden furniture as it is inherently resistant to rot. I have a picnic table outside that is 20+ years old and as far as I can remember has only ever had two coats of preservative.

Regards ick

I think the wood is just local grown softwood, I am pretty sure its not larch. I'd be nice to get some of that. The sort of sizes would be just plank size. I use pallets at the moment but I would be thinking 200x50mm (I hope that my mental arithmetic has not let me down...)

Back