Gate build. Mortice & Tenon or Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreagleeyes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
A client wants some gates made for her drive way.
The area they are to fill is 2430mm wide X 1770mm in Height. She wants TWO gates center opening.

This is a design that she has seen and likes
4641205575_ed225c51e9.jpg

This the area that they will fill
4641817434_c9d2f98ea0.jpg

4641818750_81dcb96e9e.jpg

My plan is to use 4"x4" posts on the brickwork. I'll be using 50mm x 150mm hardwood for the outer frame of the doors and 25mm thick hardwood for the center vertical pieces.

My question is, could this be achieved using the Festool Domino large 'biscuits' or should I up the timber size and go the more traditional route of Mortice and Tenons.

Personally I would go for the traditional mortice and tenon.

Biscuits are ok for board jointing and not had experience of Dominoes....but I have a feeling there are some here that use them :wink: :D

Jim

2 inch is a bit light for large gates ( around 1 3/4 when dressed) so yes up the timber size.
Dominoes are not substantial enough for large items of joinery so would definitely go for mortice and tenon construction

I have a Domino but my gut would be saying M&T - 2.4 is a very wide gate and likely to cause substantial racking forces at the rail\stile joints. Given that the dominoes don't actually go more than 1" or so into the timber - I wouldn't use the domino.

However it would work if you fancied repeat business - i.e. last 1 month longer than the 12 month warranty. But I don't think you fall into that category. :lol:

Another vote against the domino, I don't think it would be strong enough for a gate really.

You could still probably cut (some of) the mortises using the black-and-green-machine...! :twisted: :wink:

What is that weird looking tool?, the Sharp edged thing. Very bizarre.
My dilemma is the tools I own & the time I have. If there is a faster route I shall take it. Hence the Domino.
I would love to charge £3000 for some gates but that's not an option at the moment.
I try and always get a new tool from every job I do, maybe It's time for a morticer.
Or was it more clamps, that philly plane, a bandsaw, a thicknesser, or take the misses away. The list is endless.

I've increased the Stile & top/bottom rail to 3" thickness & will M&T these but will domino the vertical panels in place.

Dibs-h":u7ssqtfb said:
I have a Domino but my gut would be saying M&T - 2.4 is a very wide gate and likely to cause substantial racking forces at the rail\stile joints...

Isn't it the opening that's 2.4 i.e. a pair of gates, each one ~1200 x 1770 - or am I reading it wrong?

Pete

petermillard":v41xp08g said:
Dibs-h":v41xp08g said:
I have a Domino but my gut would be saying M&T - 2.4 is a very wide gate and likely to cause substantial racking forces at the rail\stile joints...

Isn't it the opening that's 2.4 i.e. a pair of gates, each one ~1200 x 1770 - or am I reading it wrong?

Pete

Your spot on. Each gate will be roughly 1200 X 1770.
I had thought that by writing Pair of gates. Never mind.

Mreagleeyes":1g37dox9 said:
petermillard":1g37dox9 said:
Dibs-h":1g37dox9 said:

Pete

Your spot on. Each gate will be roughly 1200 X 1770.
I had thought that by writing Pair of gates. Never mind.

What can I say - just looked at the 1st piccy you posted and went "wow that's a wide gate!"

With a morticer it would be quick - but using M&T's for the main construction and the domino for the infill would be workable.

L Harding":1qko0uol said:
if only there was some sort of mega domino...

:lol:

There is isn't there? So I heard ...

My mega-Domino is a 1/2" router, a 1/2" spiral upcut bit, and home made Dominos from 1/2" WPB! :lol:

But here's another vote for proper M&Ts.

John

Traditional m/t construction is the way to do this one. I wouldn't use a Domino (even if I had one, which I haven't) :cry: - Rob

Can I suggest, as from the sound of it you haven't done gates before, you go with one sliding gate. You can make it look like two piece but slide to one side. These swing gates are not as easy as they look to get right and 90% 0f the time go out of alignment after short use. I've had no such problem with sliders.
I've made many steel gates with wood cladding in SA high security stuff, quite easy to do with wheel gear and angle iron runner cast in concrete. You can automate these gates and you don't need swinging space for the gate leafs. Quite doable totally in wood if that's what the customer wants.

I have a Domino but i'd still M&T those gates, or any large door for that matter.
Surely the central panels (t&g boards?) will be sat in a groove so wouldn't be dominoed either?
I would also be tempted to just have the muntins on the face side of the gates and put a diagonal brace on the rear side.

Price wise- in a decent hardwood including fitting thats a £2-£2.5k job if i was pricing it. So your not far off with your £3k.

The domino is a great invention and I find new uses for it most weeks,but

NOT for gates, even the big dominoes on multiple tenons would not be man enough, unless the gate is very narrow and light.

M&T every time. Wedged and fox wedged for me + Epoxy these days.

Mike

8)

Mattty":375irhvr said:
Surely the central panels (t&g boards?) will be sat in a groove so wouldn't be dominoed either?

That's the plan, after reading a little more into it the center panels will sit in a 30mm groove and not be glued in place, sort of floating.

Back