Garage Door Painting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
Help please!!!!

I previously posted a question regarding painting my garage door, then decided to make new wooden ones, that is not going to happen in the near future, so I need to get on and refurbish the existing one.

Not certain that some of the advice I received from members from that post will be relevant now as the base finish is a bit of a mystery

The plan was to sand down the flaking paint and as in my previous post I anticipated the door being either a Galvanized or Zinc finish now I am not so sure :?:

The sanding proved to be almost impossible so tried a test patch using Nitromors which worked a treat =D> . The problem is that the factory finish does not seem to be either Galvanized or Zinc coated It feels more like a powder coat. It is definitely not a brush/roller finish and the Nitromors has not touched it, feels almost like plastic

I have only been here for a couple of years (previously my father in Laws) so I know that the door is at least 25 years old, so probably not powder Coated?

I know it’s a big ask and probably I am asking the impossible but am wondering if anybody can suggest what other surface coating may have been used or from the photograph recognize what type of surface I might be dealing with as I need to decide what primer/undercoat to use then I can decide on the finish coat.

regards

Looks like electro galvanised sheet to me. Some call it Zincor. If that's it just go ahead and paint on that.

I can't remember brand names now but I know that plastic coated steel strip was widely available back in the 1970s. You could try scraping the surface or touching it with something hot to see if it melts away.

If the coating is light grey (not silver) most probably its zinc coated/electro galvanised sheet. You Dont really need to prime this kind of sheet as paint will adhere to it.

Thanks for the suggestions & advice.

I have now removed all DIY paint and the mystery base paint has come of in a few places exposing “Galvanizing“.

At least I know what paint to use now :idea: .

Again thanks’

It will be galvanised steel with a primer coat of paint and either top coated with plastisol or it could be stelvitite (laminate style coating) depending on the age/manufacturer.

Back