FWW's Chisel Bench Chisel Head to Head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
In this months FWW is a review of 23 Bench Chisels from around the world.

Of the western style LN's come out tops with Narex as best value.
Matsumara Blue Steel comes out tops in the Japanese style with Grizzly as best value.

As a bit of a gloat I have both of the two top types! :D

Blue Spruce come out well but are marked down for chopping ability.

Rod

F&C did a test(excluding Jap stuff) a while back now and the Two Cherries brand came out best on test iIrc - Rob

Saw this today and looked immediately for the Blue Spruce as I have them.

Did think it was a bit unfair as they mentioned 'spring' in the blade and that they were only good for 'moderate' mallet usage, but Blue Spruce don't actually make traditional 'bench' chisels, they are paring chisels, and on the paperwork they send you it says that they should never be hit with a mallet!!!

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":3w3rnufg said:

Did think it was a bit unfair as they mentioned 'spring' in the blade and that they were only good for 'moderate' mallet usage, but Blue Spruce don't actually make traditional 'bench' chisels, they are paring chisels, and on the paperwork they send you it says that they should never be hit with a mallet!!!

Cheers

Mark

Mark - I agree that they're a bit dainty if you mean the paring chisels at £300+ a pop :shock: But what about the standard length chisels, can they be whacked with a tapometer or not? I've discussed this at length with Waka who reckons they can...I'm yet to be convinced - Rob

woodbloke":1k6rb4qo said:
TrimTheKing":1k6rb4qo said:

Cheers

Mark

Mark - I agree that they're a bit dainty if you mean the paring chisels at £300+ a pop :shock: But what about the standard length chisels, can they be whacked with a tapometer or not? I've discussed this at length with Waka who reckons they can...I'm yet to be convinced - Rob
Hmmm, to be honest I wouldn't go anywhere near mine with a tapping stick :shock: Mine are the parers, which have long blades, and the design of them means that they are very slender so even if you try and take too thick a 'shaving' from oak endgrain with them the blade will flex a little. I guess because of the cost that I am being a bit protective of them so maybe they can take a light thump, but I won't be trying it anytime soon :D

When you say standard length ones, which do you mean? There are the parers and the dovetails that I am aware of. After talking to Dave Jeske (boss of Blue Spruce) they are exactly the same chisel just that the parer blades are almost double the length. I would guess due to the shorter blade that there would be a little less flex in the dovetails so maybe this is okay to thump.

Cheers

Mark

woodbloke":8buj14ad said:
Mark - I'm referring to the dovetail chisels as sold by CHT - Rob
Okay, well as I say, being shorter there is a bit less flex in them so could probably handle a gentle tapping, but when I spoke with Dave J he expressley said that he didn't advise it. I would guess you wouldn't have much of an argument if you broke a handle.

Do you have a set? I found that they are soooo sharp, even straight from the box that as long as you aren't paring much more than around 0.5-1.0mm then a firm push with the palm is more than enough to take what you need.

Cheers

Mark

Mark - unfortunately no, I don't own a set of the BS chisels...I have to make do and slum it with LN's :-({|= but it is on a far distant tuit list, that's after I've upgraded 'shop machinery, got hold of one of those nice LV plough planes, scraper plane etc -Rob

The BS dovetails, fishtails, skews and paring chisels should not be hit with anytfing. They are all chisels for acurate joinery not for stock removal. They can't be compared to 'traditional' bench chisles. Although the handles of BS shoudl be able to be hit rather hard with a mallet., the build of the chisels just isn't. If you want a chisel for chopping wood, ask Dave to make you some bench, firmer or mortice chisels.

How about all of the above? :)

Seriously, I don't exactly find their chisel reviews objectionable, more like I disdain them based on their previous big chisel review 4 or 5 years ago. They touted a Japanese brand that was OK, but certainly not top notch, same with the western chisels they touted.

Also, there's just too much money involved in these things, both to perform a truly exhaustive review and advertising money to gain/keep. I mean, how do you pick a particular brand to test when there are tens if not hundreds of very good manufacturers?

Pam

Whilst I can & do drool over fine hand tools as much as the next person, I truely can't see the point of spending bundles on chisels.

All mine are car boot or inherited old Marples, Sorby etc. My only criteria is they are old (cos the steel holds its edge) and preferably have a nice handle (although that is easily fixable)
I doubt I've ever spent more than 3 quid on a chisel and have a good servicable sets. And I've the satisfaction of giving them a new life.

So long as they have a good edge what does it matter about the brand name.

I can see that a £200 LN plane will outperform (and be better value than) a £20 Anant but how is a chisel costing £30 be ten times better than my old car boot Marples?

lurker":i8n2dsfv said:
So long as they have a good edge what does it matter about the brand name.

I would deem old Sorby and old Marples to be excellent brand names :)

The fact that they can sometimes be had cheaply at car boots is merely your (and my) good fortune.

BugBear

Hi,

I will have to try out these "car boot sales" to see if I can find any tools :wink:

Pete

Latest posts

Back