Frog fettling on a No 7!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently managed to find a few spare hours to continue refurbing my rusty old No 7 I have reached the point I loath most :roll: ...... trying to get the frog seated properly/better!
The flats on the bottom of the plane are particularly bad and I was just wondering if anyone had any hand tips for how to get the the plane and frog to meet smoothly?

The last plane I did wasn`t to bad and I managed to get away with just cleaning them up but this one most certainly needs some attention.

I`ve heard of using "valve cutting paste" and rubbing the two mating surfaces together? Anyone tried this?

So any pointers greatly appreciated!

Cheers Edd.

Thanks Jimi, most helpful yet again! =D> I think that may have been where i read about using the paste.

Any ideas where I can get some? Had a quick look the other night and could only find largish quantities.... to many pounds!

Edd.

rocksteadyeddy":32yfjhg5 said:
Thanks Jimi, most helpful yet again! =D> I think that may have been where i read about using the paste.

Any ideas where I can get some? Had a quick look the other night and could only find largish quantities.... to many pounds!

Edd.

There's an old fashioned double ended tin like mine on FleaBay at THIS LINK

Not bad for under a fiver!

Cheers

Jim

She`s in the post!
Thats more like it, shows I can`t of looked very hard! :oops:

Thanks yet again Jimi! =D>

Shouldn`t be too long and I can post some nice shiny pics when it`s finished! \:D/

Edd

rocksteadyeddy":3sypjxse said:
She`s in the post!
Thats more like it, shows I can`t of looked very hard! :oops:

Thanks yet again Jimi! =D>

Shouldn`t be too long and I can post some nice shiny pics when it`s finished! \:D/

Edd

Since I have been on FleaBay since 1999 (before .uk)....I know my way around it quite well and it's a pleasure to assist.

Looking forward to see your lapping...take it firmly but slowly in a circular motion with coarse first...until you "feel" it mating...keep at the course until you see the underside completely grey..then go for fine.

You might want to get some very fine grinding paste too later though it's not really necessary.

Cheers

Jim

Hi, Edd

Wet some sandpaper and scrape off the grit.

Pete

rocksteadyeddy":12yymlf4 said:
: ...... trying to get the frog seated properly/better!
The flats on the bottom of the plane are particularly bad and I was just wondering if anyone had any hand tips for how to get the the plane and frog to meet smoothly?

Cheers Edd.

The way I did this was to put a piece of dowel in the drilling machine and coat the end with coarse valve grinding paste. Bring the dowel onto the affected part(s) and just slowly wear the metal away...it takes some time to do but I found it the easiest way. Check to see if parts mate with an HB pencil rubbed onto one surface, when parts touch there'll be a graphite 'pick-up' on the corresponding piece - Rob

Good tip Pete...will have to remember that one!

This method you suggest Rob is fine but does this not leave a concavity? Also how do you get the seat flat inside the sole?

Jim

jimi43":3arkbq7u said:
Good tip Pete...will have to remember that one!
Also how do you get the seat flat inside the sole?

Jim
As above, the dowel will reach inside the sole to the parts of the casting that mate with the frog - Rob

Ah....I see now...it all becomes clear! I will have to try that.

My method ensures that the two surfaces that are to mate will mate by default irrespective of the angle or deviations as they are mirrors of each other...same as valve lapping...

I see this as more effective but you may very well have something there Rob.

Jim

You can buy small glass bottles of Silicone Carbide grit from Axminster. Very cheap.

I like to work on the plane body surfaces with an engineer's scraper before resorting to the grit, which is used with a drop of liquid.

Felt tip is used to show the high spots.

An engineers scraper is easy to make from an old file which has ideal steel and hardness.

All this described briefly in my first book.
best wishes,
David Charlesworth www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk

Back