Fox Alien CNC Router Machine 4040-XE any good

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roysy

Reaction score
I am looking for a reasonable 4040 CNC router and the Fox Alien CNC Router Machine 4040-XE seems to be a reasonable machine to start with. I am limited by space and the 4040 is the maximum size I can accommodate. I am new to a CNC bed having experienced the Shaper Origin which is a great machine for when working on large workpieces. I am also familiar with 3D printing and designing with Fusion 360. Looking for a 4040 CNC is however very daunting. Have I made a reasonable choice here? Have you any other suggestions I should perhaps consider? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Roy

I am in the same boat. Also have Shaper, but for smaller pieces think a CNC will be much quicker.

I am no expert, but spent a lot of time researching the market and came to the conclusion that the FoxAlien 4040 XEPRO with linear rails seems like a good shout. The main contender was Sainsmart. If more space available Queenbee start at 500x500.

I haven’t pressed the button yet. Have to work out where it is going to go…..

I have the Fox Alien 4040 XE and just upgraded it to a 4080, I've also added a VFD and spindle.

Only had light use so far, but I'm happy with it.

Reason I picked this machine came down to price and linear rails.

The biggest downside isn't with the machine but with the support if something goes wrong, but that's not limited to Fox Alien.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

I have the Fox Alien 4040 XE and just upgraded it to a 4080, I've also added a VFD and spindle.

Only had light use so far, but I'm happy with it.

Reason I picked this machine came down to price and linear rails.

The biggest downside isn't with the machine but with the support if something goes wrong, but that's not limited to Fox Alien.

Happy to answer any questions I can.
Thanks for taking the time to answer; that does sound reassuring, I will await further experiences and expertise but I am poised and keen to purchase but also cautionary.

Someone on Facebook has come up with the 500x500 Queenbee and I note Big Dean on an earlier posting is considering the Queenbee v Fox Alien. It certainly looks a more robust piece of kit but I cannot see the actual footprint to see if I can fit it in. Looking at what I can find, the 500x500 may actually be the footprint with a 340x255 work area. If any one can actually provide the footprint, Including chainlink etc, that would be helpful. Views on the two would be appreciated

Someone on Facebook has come up with the 500x500 Queenbee and I note Big Dean on an earlier posting is considering the Queenbee v Fox Alien. It certainly looks a more robust piece of kit but I cannot see the actual footprint to see if I can fit it in. Looking at what I can find, the 500x500 may actually be the footprint with a 340x255 work area. If any one can actually provide the footprint, Including chainlink etc, that would be helpful. Views on the two would be appreciated
Interesting research. Looks like the Fox is 811x755 overall to get 400x400. The Queen comparable is 750x750 overall to get 590x505. QueenBee much bigger working area for a smaller frame. I wonder if that makes it a lot less sturdy?

https://bulkman3d.com/product/queenbee-pro-cnc-machine-full-kit-linear-rail-upgrade/

https://www.foxalien.com/en-gb/collections/4040xe-series/products/cnc-router-machine-xe-pro

Interesting research. Looks like the Fox is 811x755 overall to get 400x400. The Queen comparable is 750x750 overall to get 590x505. QueenBee much bigger working area for a smaller frame. I wonder if that makes it a lot less sturdy?

https://bulkman3d.com/product/queenbee-pro-cnc-machine-full-kit-linear-rail-upgrade/

https://www.foxalien.com/en-gb/collections/4040xe-series/products/cnc-router-machine-xe-pro
The whole build looks very sturdy compared to the Fox but they want to charge about 360 dollars for shipping as they have no British retail outlet or warehouse so currently back to Fox Alien. Not sure but may also get the linear rails

I was very tempted by bulkman or ratrig when I was researching, the deciding factor for me was laziness and shipping.
I didn't want to build one myself, I'd like to one day but at time of purchasing I wanted to get up and running as quick as possible.

I was very tempted by bulkman or ratrig when I was researching, the deciding factor for me was laziness and shipping.
I didn't want to build one myself, I'd like to one day but at time of purchasing I wanted to get up and running as quick as possible.
Good point. The FoxAlien is a quick build in comparison.

The whole build looks very sturdy compared to the Fox but they want to charge about 360 dollars for shipping as they have no British retail outlet or warehouse so currently back to Fox Alien. Not sure but may also get the linear rails
The FoxAlien is more expensive to start with though, so I am making it similar costs.

I have gone on a bit of journey with CNC machines over the last couple of years, I started with a generic desktop 3018, I realised very quickly I enjoyed the whole CNC thing and spent the next couple of days researching models. I was down to two manufacturers sainsmart and fox alien. I purchased the Fox Alien Masuter Pro 4040 and added a Makita router as my spindle from day 1, this was actually a really capable machine and produced great results even though it was a belt machine. I managed to pick up an extension kit that made the machine 4080, I have still got the extension in a box! I upgraded a few months ago to the Fox Alien 4040 XE and like the gentleman above added a VFD water cooled spindle, this was not just about power but to cut down on noise as the makita router and vacuum going does make a huge amount of noise.

I have found Fox Alien customer support pretty good and responsive if you engage via social media and email, the challenge for me was the time zone and it being very different to us when it comes to delays with responses.

The reason I went for Fox Alien was the really helpful online communities on Facebook, there is an official and unofficial groups which are amazing for help, ideas and guidance. There is also a great guy on YouTube called James Dean Designs who does a huge amount of content on sainsmart and Fox alien who is definitely worth watching. The software to run all of the Cnc machines is a bit of minefield and I started out with easel which I still use often now. I have also used most of the others and they’re all ok in different ways. More than happy to give guidance there if you need it.

I have also purchased direct from FA and via Amazon as if you have issues Amazon is pretty good.

I went through the process of “deciding” which machine to go for and ended up with self build. See thread in projects section.

Pros
Far more machine for your money (rattm motor) - more powerful, more rigid, closed loop motors, serious offline controller, proper VFD, 2.2kw spindle etc
Moddable modular machine
Lots of YouTube vids to help
Machine can handle metal
“The knowledge” of how CNC really works - I can now use the controller to control other machines.
Good fun project to do

Cons
Approx 1 week build time with lots of problems to debug
I have a fair amount of prior experience with milling machines - most do not
Less direct support

The likelihood is, if I had wanted a wood only machine, I’d have gone with Foxalien. But if metal is a serious consideration, the fox’s and genmitsus are not up to the task at all - another approach is required.

Edit - James Dean seems a very nice chap who makes nice videos but doesn’t have a scooby about machining beyond consumer woodworking CNC products. Also very frustrating that he won’t make decisions between the companies who are sponsoring him.

I have gone on a bit of journey with CNC machines over the last couple of years, I started with a generic desktop 3018, I realised very quickly I enjoyed the whole CNC thing and spent the next couple of days researching models. I was down to two manufacturers sainsmart and fox alien. I purchased the Fox Alien Masuter Pro 4040 and added a Makita router as my spindle from day 1, this was actually a really capable machine and produced great results even though it was a belt machine. I managed to pick up an extension kit that made the machine 4080, I have still got the extension in a box! I upgraded a few months ago to the Fox Alien 4040 XE and like the gentleman above added a VFD water cooled spindle, this was not just about power but to cut down on noise as the makita router and vacuum going does make a huge amount of noise.

I have found Fox Alien customer support pretty good and responsive if you engage via social media and email, the challenge for me was the time zone and it being very different to us when it comes to delays with responses.

The reason I went for Fox Alien was the really helpful online communities on Facebook, there is an official and unofficial groups which are amazing for help, ideas and guidance. There is also a great guy on YouTube called James Dean Designs who does a huge amount of content on sainsmart and Fox alien who is definitely worth watching. The software to run all of the Cnc machines is a bit of minefield and I started out with easel which I still use often now. I have also used most of the others and they’re all ok in different ways. More than happy to give guidance there if you need it.

I have also purchased direct from FA and via Amazon as if you have issues Amazon is pretty good.
Thanks, very helpful. I did post on the FoxAlien CNC Router & Laser Machine Group and had no responses which was disappointing but I did note there was plenty of activity directed at assisting members with problems. They are probably fed up with newbies asking purchasing advice but it was good to see help would be available there although generally I like to try and sort myself out as it makes effective learning. I definitely think, for my needs, FoxAlien is the way for me but I am indeed confused over which one and which options. I suspect I will go for the FoxAlien 4040 XE Pro with the provided 400w spindle to start with. This is probable more future proof than the 4040 XE and I can add linear bearings and/or a different router at a later stage if required. I have watched James Dean Designs videos which were helpful. In particular his concern of sawdust on the runners gradually increasing wear and I will also buy the dust shoe to see if that reduces that problem. If not, linear bearings as an upgrade will solve it.

I went through the process of “deciding” which machine to go for and ended up with self build. See thread in projects section.

Pros
Far more machine for your money (rattm motor) - more powerful, more rigid, closed loop motors, serious offline controller, proper VFD, 2.2kw spindle etc
Moddable modular machine
Lots of YouTube vids to help
Machine can handle metal
“The knowledge” of how CNC really works - I can now use the controller to control other machines.
Good fun project to do

Cons
Approx 1 week build time with lots of problems to debug
I have a fair amount of prior experience with milling machines - most do not
Less direct support

The likelihood is, if I had wanted a wood only machine, I’d have gone with Foxalien. But if metal is a serious consideration, the fox’s and genmitsus are not up to the task at all - another approach is required.

Edit - James Dean seems a very nice chap who makes nice videos but doesn’t have a scooby about machining beyond consumer woodworking CNC products. Also very frustrating that he won’t make decisions between the companies who are sponsoring him.
I was seriously tempted to build my own; it is indeed a great way to start on something new but I have so many projects on the go all at once and realise it will remain on the backburner. I am not planning much with metal, maybe one or two jobs with soft metals and if the 4040 XE Pro cannot manage it, I do have my Shaper Origin to fall back on which has handled all my metal tasks to date. My main activities will be with wood and perhaps occasional acrylic which the combination of the 4040 XE Pro and Shaper Origin should easily manage.

I would agree over James Dean but his videos have proved helpful.

Back