Fox 22-564 planer-thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsue

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is anyone in a position to give me a review on the above. I desperately need a planer thicknesser, but am a little strapped for cash. I'm looking to use hardwoods (ash, teak, oak), accuracy is of prime importance. Main uses of wood - small stuff for scrollsawing and larger for boat restoration - neither in great quantities

Cheers

Sue

I have two of them (dont ask), if accuracy is of importance then this isn't the machine, it'll plane and thickness ok but has a rubbish fence, tables which aren't adjustable and on both of mine they are way off, i got mine for £120 at Rutlands and i'm just glad i didn't pay the full price

Phil

I got one in the last Rutlands offer (£140). I love it because I think its much better than not owning any PT at all. However I also broadly agree with philg's comments on accuracy. I treat the thicknessing scale on mine as only a rough guide for raising the thicknessing bed to the right starting height and use calipers and small adjustments to get what I want rather than trusting what it says. The fence is rubbish too and I really need to make a new one before I get any sustained use out of it - I'm fed up with constantly fiddling it into position. However, my tables do seem to be aligned OK.

The Rutlands price is expensive now - £199 - and you can get virtually the same machine, new, on eBay branded as a SIP machine (01497) for around £160. That said, if you don't mind waiting a week or few and space isn't an issue, you can get a bigger, more capable, PT secondhand on eBay. Lots of the bigger SIP machine (01454) or other clones come up on there, I've seen them sell for as little as £150-200 before. Just have to wait for someone to sell one within driving distance.

Cheers guys

I guess you have told me all I need to know. I do keep looking on ebay, but no luck so far.

I did think it was too good to be true, yer gets wot yer pays for!

We are going to the International Woodworking Exhibition at the weekend. We may see stuff there that we can have a play with or at least watch a demo.

We will end up paying for a good one, I guess,'cos hubby wants one too!

Sue

Back