Found a decent foot switch for my scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also grateful for the OP's information as my switch, when switched on at the
socket, ran continuously.He advised that the micro switch was permanently
engaged which turned out to be the case so I refitted the plate that lifts the micro
switch and now everything works fine.

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would ask in this one (since its about foot switches)

Currently super happy with my Excalibur scroll saw but getting a bit tired using its normal on/off switch on the top of it.

I've seen this discussion and have looked up some foot switches / pedals but all of the ones I have found on eBay and Amazon need wired up or to rewire scroll saws to fit the foot switches.

Since I've only just got the scroll saw and not totally wanting to void any warranty / rewire anything, does anyone know of any foot switches where you just plug the scroll saw into it and the foot switch into the mains/extension lead?

I feel like i've seen one before but I can't seem to find any online.

I know It may seem lazy not to just wire something myself but I really don't want to be wiring anything. I just want some sort of solution where its just a matter of plugging a foot switch into the mains then the scroll saw into the foot switch.

Thanks, and sorry for the hijacking :p
Keato

Keato,
You certainly won't need to mess with the wiring on your Excalibur, but chances are you will need to fit a plug and socket to whichever footswitch you choose. I'd recommend going for the same footswitch we bought, then buy a single trailing socket, like this, cut the cable in two and wire it into the footswitch. Should be a 5 minute job. Well, unless the Excalibur has a built in NVR switch, in which case you can ignore all the above, although I would think it unlikely.

I did a brief search and didn't find any footswitches with a standard 13A plug and socket fitted, though that's not to say they don't exist.

Martin.

Hi all. my first post and I need help.

I bought the switch from the same person as you guys. I followed the diagram posted here (thankyou)

I have the Axminster Trade Series AWFS18 and have removed the stop switch. When I plug the new pedal in and turn on the switch on the wall, the machine will start if I press the pedal down and turn the machine's power switch on its works. remove my foot from the pedal, it stops, and I see the on/off switch turn it's self off..
I guess I'm missing something.

Robert

Robert.

I don’t know the start/stop arrangement for the saw you mention, but from the way you describe what’s happening, I would hazard a guess that the saw is fitted with a NVR (no volt release).

The reason I say this, and if I have understood you correctly, with your foot on the switch, and pressing the start switch on the saw it will run, then when lifting your foot from the switch the saw stops but will not restart until you press the foot switch and press the saws start button again. If this is the case the saw most certainly has a NVR, start stop arrangement, which will need to be locked out or bypassed if you want to control the saw with your foot switch.

Hope this helps, and has not added to any confusion. #-o

Take care.

Nearly forgot welcome to the site.

Chris R.

ChrisR I think you are right, but I have no idea how to bypass the NVR.

Oh, I loved my Holidays at St Ives and spent a few days at Newquay.
Now the kids have moved out, we've had no chance to return.

Hi Servo (Robert ) welcome to the site,I see that Chris has helped you already.if you have any questions about this fantastic hobby that we all share,this is the place to be.

Bryan

I think Chris is right about the cause of your problem and if I remember correctly there is a work around for this somewhere further back on the forum.

powertools":mda5ipd4 said:
I think Chris is right about the cause of your problem and if I remember correctly there is a work around for this somewhere further back on the forum.

I did look back, but couldn't find/missed the post, can you remember anything from the title so I could do a search.

Robert

Robert, I believe the NVR switch is wired the same as the Hegner, so you need to wire the footswitch in after the NVR switch as I did. You could also remove it altogether as the footswitch basically makes it redundant but I left mine in place in case the footswitch broke, which it did.
You need female and male 'kettle' plug and socket, wire the footswitch with those so that the NVR switch connects to one side of the footswitch and then the footswitch goes out to the motor. Leave the motor switch in the on position all the time. I can post a photo if it will make it any clearer.

Martin.

martinka":34my9s7g said:
Robert, I believe the NVR switch is wired the same as the Hegner, so you need to wire the footswitch in after the NVR switch as I did. You could also remove it altogether as the footswitch basically makes it redundant but I left mine in place in case the footswitch broke, which it did.
You need female and male 'kettle' plug and socket, wire the footswitch with those so that the NVR switch connects to one side of the footswitch and then the footswitch goes out to the motor. Leave the motor switch in the on position all the time. I can post a photo if it will make it any clearer.

Martin.

Hi Martin
Thankyou for the reply.

What I did.
I got a kettle lead, cut it in half, wired both bits to the foot pedal, plugged the kettle end straight into the machine, and the 3 pin plug into the mains socket. The switch with the red button was taking out of the loop.
With the pedal pressed I can start the machine with the on/off switch on the front, as soon as I take my foot off the pedal, the machine stops and I need to press the pedal down again whilst pressing the on/off button again.

Lol, I hope you understand what I wrote, because my daughter can't......

So you have to press the pedal, then press the start button? It sounds to me like the on/off switch on the motor is also an NVR switch, which makes me wonder why the one at the back is there. Unless it's just to make it more Hegner like, or am I being cynical? I'll see if I can find a copy of the manual and take a looksee.

Martin

Yes Martin, press the pedal down, then press the on/off switch built into the machine.
When I take my foot off the pedal, I can hear the on/off switch turning off.

The wiring diagram doesn't show anything of a nvr switch just the normal four connectors.

I'm stumped. :) Can you bypass the NVR switch and the footswitch and connect straight to the motor switch? Switch the saw on, then switch it off and on at the mains. If it doesn't start up again, it's an NVR switch, and I don't know how/if you can bypass that one.

I will take the switch out tomorrow and see if there's more than 4 wires connected to it.
I might call Axminster and ask them for help..

Robert.

Pleased to see my post may be of help.

Regarding, bypassing the existing stop/start switch. As I don’t know the type of start/stop control fitted to your saw, I am unable to give you exact advice on any wiring modification, but if it is a standard type of start/stop, NVR (no volt release) control, just linking across the start button/switch would be all that is necessary.
However it is important that whatever modification you carry out, is to label or cover the start/stop control, as inoperative, I appreciate you may be the only one using the saw, but on the off chance that an -other was to use the saw , they would need to know that the STOP button is not going to work, (ie stop the saw). :shock:

Or as Martin said, you could remove the NVR control and go stright into the motor supply lead. If you do this and the foot switch is only single pole, ensure that the switch is breaking the live wire, if the foot switch is however two pole, no need to be concerned.

Glad to see you enjoyed your holidays in Cornwall.

Take care.

Chris R.

I took the switch out today, it has four wires 2 brown (live) two blue, I wonder if the nvr is in the switch. I wonder if I bought a switch from hegner it would work. The outside length of the switch is approx. 50 mmm

Just been doing some reading and the big NVR switch was added for schools and the safety elf, so I would bet half a biscuit that, like most power tools from China these days, that the on/off switch is also NVR. It's unlikely that the Hegner switch would fit as, being German, they are most likely from a different source.

It's not something I would condone, but if it was mine and I was determined to fit a footswitch, I'd find a way to remove the on/off switch and wire the footswitch straight in.

Whatever you do, it seems the other NVR switch is elf & safety excess baggage and can be stuck on something else. In fact, I might just stick my Hegner one for my pillar drill. Good grief! I'll be removing the 6mm stainless rod from plugs and fitting fuses next! Just joking folks! :mrgreen: Or am I?

edit: Duh! I'm slow today. There's an easy way to tell if the switch on the motor is an NVR switch. If the switch on the motor is NOT NVR you would be able to leave it in the ON position and just use the big NVR switch at the back.

If I join the two blue's and browns together then I guess this will bypass the switch, and the pedal will work?

Back