Foldable Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigjsmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guys,

So I am limited on space and I am going to build a foldable bench in my garage....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0QGNfS ... oS&index=9

Something simple like this, however i will be jazzing it up... Possibly adding in a router plate that will be interchangeable with a blank, this has to be kind of multi-functional....

I will have the table top overhanging on three edges to help with clamping..... I see assembly tables and MFT tables with holes etc....

Do i need them?

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated while i plan this table... Any images of what you guys have would be much appreciated aswell....

Again all your help and advice is greatly appreciated...

Craig

craigjsmith":a54xtuz8 said:
I see assembly tables and MFT tables with holes etc....

Do i need them?
You need them if you want to use the things the holes are for, e.g. dogs, holdfasts. Now lots of traditional, or old-fashioned, workbenches had no holes mortised or drilled in them and people who continue to use such benches can be rather scathing about "Swiss cheese benches", but there's no reason you shouldn't go with them yourself if they suit you.

Personally I do like both, holdfasts especially, but it must be said neither dogs nor holdfasts are essential.

Well i hadnt really thought about the holes until i clocked something on youtube....

Think i will give them a miss at the moment, i do like the idea of tracks tho...

Where can i buy tracks and accessories to suit?

I'm currently obtaining T tracks and mitre slides from axminster, they appear to have the best prices at the moment (if you can call 20 pence an inch a best price, although I have seen them as high as 50 pence an inch).

I'm starting to think I need a couple of dog holes in my bench, I have been sanding planks of wood in the 300mm x 200mm x 10mm range, and holding them still without sanding over my fingers is becoming an issue.

On my dads bench, and also my old school benches, there was an eccentric wheel arrangement at one end of the bench, which when turned, raised a fairly substantial lump of wood above table height to use as a planing stop. Any one know of the technical name for that arrangement? i would like to make one but have no idea how to make that eccentric cam.

Rutlands had some T Track on special offer recently, if I remember correctly.
I purchased a pack of 4 lengths from them last year and used used a couple of lengths on a drill bench/table that I built.
My Festool clamps all fit in them as well, which make them extra useful!!!

I have had a look at the video.

In terms of strength / rigidity - this look to be closer to what I would describe as an assembly table rather than a workbench, mainly due to those single hinges on the fold out legs.

If you plan to hand plane it may judder and cause difficulties. If you plan to use a mallet and chisel, it will make a lot of noise (no dampening) and possibly bounce.

Regards the router table idea.A lot of cheaper or more powerful routers have big handles at the sides.This means you may not be able to lift the router plate and router out via the top of the table and have to remove it by unscrewing each time it has to be folded away.You could leave it in place (retracting the bit),but that would require a stop to prevent the router top hitting the wall.The fold down would then form a triangular wedge shape against the wall.

I think a fold up workbench as opposed to fold down after use, secured very well at the top to prevent any accidentally falling down would be better.You could put some very substantial braced legs on it all assembled with screws and cheap studwork timber.

If you type "garage wall fold up workbench" into google images.There are some good examples there with hefty legs.

sunnybob":2goc4gpx said:
i would like to make one but have no idea how to make that eccentric cam.
Old guides say the cam has to be shaped as a spiral and might have one drawn that you're supposed to scale up carefully using a grid, but in fact you only need a circle with an off-centre hole. Simples.

But if you're after a rising planing stop that's easily done in a host of ways that don't require a cam. If the stop is made of good strong hardwood just having it a tight fit in a mortise works well and will last for donkeys.

I cant believe how difficult it was to find images of that cam. It appears to have gone completely out of fashion.

Having now studied my bench to decide where to place it, I find that a cam wont work for me. I am now thinking of raising and lowering the stop with pulleys and string.

What about a flip stop for the bench sides instead. I read about them in American woodworker a few weeks ago, seem very simple to make and do not add a lot of bulk to the bench.

This picture is from page 8 of American Woodworker Dec 1996 issue #56. They are available free on archive.org

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-25_17-17-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-25_17-17-30.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 155
@sunnybob Pulleys and string? That sounds like making something inherently simple needlessly complex Bob. You could get by with one or two wood screws (brass preferably) well countersunk into the workbench surface! Five minutes and done.

@oakmitre That's a sawing aid isn't it, not a planing stop?

Well, thank you all....

You have all given plenty to think about....

My bench will have to be multi-functional due to lack of space... I am going to take different things for different ideas and incorporate as much as i can that will work for me... Cannot wait to get started.... Really need to gut the garage first.....

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to fire them in as i wont be getting started for a few weeks yet

Well it's been a few weeks now...

I ended up being g given a fire door which has served as a great bench... I still have plans for bench dogs, vice and even build a router table into the table. But so far it simple serves as a foldable bench...

I also undertook my my first build, a crosscut sled for the table saw... quite impressed with myself considering I am extremely new to this... thank you all for your suggestions and I will. Putting g them into practice soon.....

Back