Flattening Water Stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2p1quu0i said:
Jacob":2p1quu0i said:
48÷2(9+3)

288 ? Too many stones.

BugBear
Many of them are paving slabs. How does everybody flatten their paving slabs BTW? It seems a bit crazy to just keep piling them up when one perfectly flat one is all that is required. If I spread them out I suppose it'd save on grass cutting.

Apparently 'tis another can of worms as hotly debated as Sharpening Techniques and, can be either depending on your chosen medium (method).

HTH - TIPD

János":1pxlje9o said:
Dear Stu,

I have done you a favor, and looked up the different issues of JIS R6001.

The grain size is determined with the electrical resistance test method. Sedimentation test method yields a little larger sizes.

I am unable to find the changes you have mentioned earlier.

"Flesh for fantasy", so to speak... :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

Well, that IS interesting. That's the very first listing I've seen with those figures, anywhere.

Where did you find it?

And why should I believe that this single example is correct, when every other example I've ever seen says differently?

I really, REALLY hope you understand this. I cannot in good conscience believe a single source that you have supplied without ANY suggestion as to where it's come from to be the truth.

Help me here, please.

In fact, don't. I really don't have the energy to debate with you any more. Sorry.

Stu.

Dear Anthony,

Yes it is a perfect day, spring in full bloom, and the sun shines... :) Come on April, lay beside me. :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

Hello,

Just for your entertainment:

Stu wrote:
For a description of JIS6001-1998, check this. -> http://www.fujimfg.co.jp/benri/kenmazairyudo1.htm

It's all in Japanese, but if you can work it out, it gives the size of abrasive as well as the allowable tolerance according to the standard. It's the best example I know of, and matches my printed paper version which is the standard. No fudging.
And this is from him. too:
Well, that IS interesting. That's the very first listing I've seen with those figures, anywhere.

It is worth looking at the links below:
http://www.fujimfg.co.jp/benri/kenmazairyudo1.htm
http://www.fujimfg.co.jp/benri/kenmazairyudo.htm

Perhaps Stu will believe it for himself, albeit he never ever seen that before, you know. :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

I used the garden path, paving stones until I found it a struggle working on my knees. Now I use Bosch sander belts, stuck down to a piece of melamine faced MDF. Simples and quite flat enough for water-stones.

HTH

Regards John :)

Yes April's here and she's lovely. So is my pet Acer Palmatum, which my father gave me 25 years ago.

As it is every Spring; a perfect specimen.

John :D

How do you know you are a proper woodie?

When you put '1 pedigree sycamore' as your response to the question 'do you have any pets?'

Marvellous!!!!

I've got a tray full of Sequioa babies, it makes me so proud how they've grown up :cry:

Anthony

Back