Fitted Wardrobe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonjeff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the planning stage for a wardrobe with sliding doors, the panelled doors (560mm x 2230mm) will be 22mm MR-MDF for rails and stiles, 12mm MR-MDF for the panels.
Is there a minimum width the rails stiles should be? I was thinking about 75mm for both.
What runners would I need for small sock drawers?

Jeff.

I made some wardrobe doors out of MR MDF and had to scrap them because they were really wobbly.

My feeling is that MDF is OK for small kitchen doors but is not strong enough for tall wardrobe doors.

Cheers
Mike

I made mine out of those thicknesses and mine are full height. I used 100mm for the rails and stiles, and 5 hinges per door. They're fine.

All choices made on the basis of advice here and over the other side.

Dave

A idea of size and style of the wardrobe
Where it's going to go.
robefootprint.jpg

Style so far
Robe150908.jpg

It looks like you don't have restrictions on room in front of the bed to open the doors. If you can avoid using sliding doors and fitting hinges this will give the doors more stability. I have fitted many sliding wardrobes and find them a pain because you have to keep moving the doors across to get to stuff. Having said that when you have limited room they do have their place.

Sawdust":1n7m4juo said:
Dave,

I can see why I had a problem now. I was making these:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

and wanted the rails and stiles to be a lot thinner.

I guess it depends on how wide you want them to be.

Cheers
Mike
Yes, not only are my rails and stiles wider, but I have thicker, raised panels as well.

Yours turned out very well, though, as did the whole suite. It's a favourite of mine and I have your pictures saved in my scrapbook :)

Dave

Dave S":216z682g said:
Sawdust":216z682g said:
Dave,

I can see why I had a problem now. I was making these:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

and wanted the rails and stiles to be a lot thinner.

I guess it depends on how wide you want them to be.

Cheers
Mike
Yes, not only are my rails and stiles wider, but I have thicker, raised panels as well.

Yours turned out very well, though, as did the whole suite. It's a favourite of mine and I have your pictures saved in my scrapbook :)

Dave

Thanks, I'm very flattered
Mike

Back