first turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radicalwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

As with Alf this is all Trev's fault. After meeting Trev at the Auctions several times he convinced me to get a lathe. So I found some cash and bought an old harrison. Up till last week I have not had time to turn it on, trouble is now don't seem to be able to turn it off :D . thought I better put a couple of pics on for comments, so here goes.

candlestand.jpg

Ash candle holder with glass insert

paircandlestands.jpg

Pair Oak of candle stands

oakwalnutbowl.jpg

Oak and Walnut bowl 9" x 2" thick, had to add walnut as I turned through the bottom :oops: .

oakbowlbottom.jpg

Oak bowl bottom view

oakbowltop.jpg

Oak bowl top view.

All the best
Neil

Welcome to the world of 'Round Spinney Things' Neil, Looks like 2007 might Turn Out to be a productive year on the forum.

Just be careful that you are not goaded into tackling an ever steepening slope by certain members around here.

Oh, and by the way don't let anybody throw away the part used candles, you will need all you can get for sealing the green wood you will be collecting.

CHJ":17i9tj5m said:
... Just be careful that you are not goaded into tackling an ever steepening slope by certain members around here. ...

Hi Neil and welcome to the world of ever decreasing circles :wink:

(nice work btw :!: )

good advice from Chas .... follow him all the way :lol:

It's a testament to Trev that his inspiration lives on...

DaveL":afn8xruv said:
Neil,

I like the turned wood, but how do you do the glass? :roll:

Just get the Sand Paper a little hotter of course :roll:

Christmas cheer started early Dave :?: If so 'Mutter Mutter Mutter' I'm banned for the next few days due to anti-histamines, Iroko :evil: strikes again.

radicalwood":15s0uknt said:
Oak and Walnut bowl 9" x 2" thick, had to add walnut as I turned through the bottom :oops: .

:D :D :D You can't consider yourself a proper turner until you have done that!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I did it with a Paduak blank that I had paid £20 for! :oops:

I have been a bit more careful ever since!

Cheers

Gary

thanks for the kind comments.

DaveL, the glass is the easy bit it comes from Ikea at 19 pence each :lol:, think I need to get a few in stock.

going to try a large platter over Christmas have a sliver of Ash about 15" wide by 2.5" thick by 6' long :D to give me some practice. Then there is the Auction of wood on the 6Th Jan :wink: .

Cheers
Neil

very nice very nice indeed
at a bbq this year i had a crowd of at least 20 family and friends watching as i dug out my dads old coronet minor from the back of his shed .
my dad sat there with drunken pride ( too much cider ) as i took the last cut inside the bowl to reveal the chuck. :(
yes straight through the bottom of the bowl.
i hang my head in shame until next years big bbq.
sorry for stealing your thunder there mate but i would like to think that we have all done it .

Latest posts

Back