First timer hinging extension for desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardr

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently making a desk into an alcove between external wall and chimney breast, in our study.

A la:

desk.jpg

The desk work has gone fine; simple piece of MDF on batons which have been fixed to the three walls.

What I wish to do now is to add an extension to the desk. I don't want to attempt one of those slide out keyboard jobbies, but rather just wish to hinge
a further panel of mdf to the desk, with some mechanism to keep it in the extended position (a pair of latches would be fine).

The question I have is what type of hinge should I use, and is it possible to achieve Option 2 in the following image?

options.jpg

That is to say, not only when the extension is up, are the top of the desk and the top of the extension flush, but also, when the
extension is down the top of the desk is flush with the end of the extension. Thus, in the down position the depth of the desk would actually
be slightly extended by the thickness of the MDF extension panel.

I can't think of a hinge that would achieve that scenario, although it feels similar to how kitchen cupboards work, but thought I would ask. In terms
of the simpler option (Option one) would a piano hinge or similar be the right choice? Would there be a gap between the desk and the extension when
it's in the upright position?

Many thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 93
  • options.jpg
    options.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 93
Look up rule joint which is the normal way to do a drop flap. The joint provides support all along the joint in the working position. Two or more assymetric flap hinges are used with the knuckle recessed into the underside

MM

Myfordman":2uglaqkf said:
Look up rule joint which is the normal way to do a drop flap. The joint provides support all along the joint in the working position. Two or more assymetric flap hinges are used with the knuckle recessed into the underside

MM

Thanks for the reply — yes, I see now how that would work. I don't own a router though, and looks a bit complicated for me, and possible not doable in 12mm MDF?

I'll look into it some more :D

personaly just sounds like a butt hindge joby mate. nothing flash. no need to sink them under the surface may have to make a small recese for the knuckle but sounds like it might work.

Add on, sorry i didnt read all

Posiibly use some sort of 50mm x 20mm x 5mm piece with a hole in it. 1 screw and a washer. rotate it to hold it open

If you are getting into woodwork, a router is probably one of the first power tools to get. A 1/4" is more than capable for this job even a cheapy secondhand one off the bay.
If you don't fancy the rule joint then fill width piano hinge come a poor second as they are made of very thin metal.
12mm is a bit thin for a desk top and to be honest, mdf is barely capable of supporting its own weight with out further reinforcement.
Could you run to birch plywood? lighter and stronger.

MM

Myfordman":196v0f98 said:
If you are getting into woodwork, a router is probably one of the first power tools to get. A 1/4" is more than capable for this job even a cheapy secondhand one off the bay.

They really do look pretty good. As well as my trusty Makita drill, I recently bought a circular saw, which has been amazing for keeping things straight. I guess you're right, I can
fix things and cut in straight lines, so now it's time for some curves :lol:

Myfordman":196v0f98 said:
If you don't fancy the rule joint then fill width piano hinge come a poor second as they are made of very thin metal.
12mm is a bit thin for a desk top and to be honest, mdf is barely capable of supporting its own weight with out further reinforcement.
Could you run to birch plywood? lighter and stronger.
MM

It's for the part that has the keyboard or a laptop put on it, so it seems fine on the strength point. Higher up the wall I have an iMac, which I've used 18mm MDF for and more CLS to support it. I will have a think about whether to pony up for a router (I do have some birch plywood knocking about, but think it's warped :()

Thanks for your advice again. Do you have any recommendations on a router that will only get used for half a dozen projects a year? Anything around the £50 mark?

ScrewFix have a Energer ENB468ROU for £35, so I'm going to buy that and see how I get on with it.

Back