First time carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemishwoodcrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
The wife treated me to an early Christmas present last week and I attended an all day carving workshop.
Having had a set of chisels and never used them it was a great learning experience. Myself and eight other carving novices carved a maple leaf from a piece of lime.
1bff4c8df265fd045b949b78672d0c69.jpg
fa77e831d75929745a02ef4d6b21d546.jpg
5d17476037fb48143c46c99d8fca3c15.jpg

It's not perfect but for my first effort I'm pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slemishwoodcrafts":27ipzyhw said:
The wife treated me to an early Christmas present last week and I attended an all day carving workshop.

Quite jealous, it clearly paid off , nice result esp. for first time.

Stanleymonkey as silly as it may sound the biggest thing I learnt was to carve downhill. Before I'd have been using the chisels any old way but being shown how to use them properly was worth it alone!
Thanks monkeybiter it was a great day out!

That's very good indeed.

When I started carving, spending time with a carver was about the only way to learn outside of a book. I think it's still available, but expensive, however, there's all sorts of stuff on line now at affordable prices.

If you are interested, Chris Pye has a subscription channel, which is excellent, in my view:

http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/

Good luck going forward

Nicely done, great first project.

Which timbers were you using before lime?

In my experience most beginners start off with an off cut of 4" x 2" softwood and unless especially tenacious and with very sharp tools, they find it difficult and give up. Classic case of cart before horse approach.

I started with just a couple of chisels but at least they were sharp and on a bit of scrap sapele (big mistake), and carved a golfer in the round (another mistake, should have been an easier project) but luckily it wasn't too bad though I cringe a bit looking at it today it kept my interest alive.

With a few more chisels and a piece of lime, my next attempt was a revelation, lime cuts crisply and cleanly in all directions, holds fine detail and is a pleasure to carve where the sapele was stringy and horrible to cut. Now if you want to really enjoy - try a bit of boxwood.!

Bob

Blimey, for one day that's amazing! Hope you're inspired to keep moving forwards.

=D>

Lons":185bg1uv said:
Nicely done, great first project.

Which timbers were you using before lime?

In my experience most beginners start off with an off cut of 4" x 2" softwood and unless especially tenacious and with very sharp tools, they find it difficult and give up. Classic case of cart before horse approach.

I started with just a couple of chisels but at least they were sharp and on a bit of scrap sapele (big mistake), and carved a golfer in the round (another mistake, should have been an easier project) but luckily it wasn't too bad though I cringe a bit looking at it today it kept my interest alive.

With a few more chisels and a piece of lime, my next attempt was a revelation, lime cuts crisply and cleanly in all directions, holds fine detail and is a pleasure to carve where the sapele was stringy and horrible to cut. Now if you want to really enjoy - try a bit of boxwood.!

Bob

Thanks for the replies guys, I had great fun and when i get my orders out of the way I'll have another go.

Before the lime I was using oak or another hardwood I had lying around.
Biggest thing I learnt was to carve downhill to avoid catching the grain

Latest posts

Back