First Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first bowl, made from ash with natural charms

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

Made it a few days ago but didnt have time to upload it

Criticisms wanted

First Bowl ?

16 and at school , my rear end !

You're Tracey Owen with his mustach shaved off :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

very nice Roger ... top job there !
tricky to finish that off , with the little bit of 'natures handiwork' still sitting there in prime position to catch the sandpaper and/or fingers !

Well done...
on heck of a lot better than my first bowl ...

in fact, one heck of a lot better than my fifty-first bowl !

Keep at it, keep posting them up.
Thats great :lol: 8) :lol: 8)

Alie Barnes":27uqhmq1 said:
I like it! im not good enough to criticise but i can praise! :)

ah ah ... no ye don't ! I got slapped by Chas when I came here first for trying that one .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everyone can, and indeed should pass comment ...
It helps you think about your own work when you do so, too...
You are every bit as qualified to assess, as the next man/woman, Alie ..
in the words of the original man's comments...
"You probably couldn't build a fine english cathedral, but that does not stop you from appreciating its beauty"

And he was right 8) 8) 8)

You comment away ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done for a first bowl :) I think you were very brave to try one that included "natural" features like that finger-biting bark inclusion in the rim!

For my taste, the foot seems a little too wide for the size of the bowl, but other than that it's a good bowl.

tekno.mage

Very well done for your first bowl [-o<

You haven't created the classic beginner's bowl with straights sides and a very flat base but achieved pleasing external and internal curves from what I can see from the photo. The base is a little to large for the form But for a first attempt it is great.

Regards

With the rest on this, for a 1st. bowl you didn't go far wrong to my eyes. Good job!

Good job - the "natural charms" add nicely to it :D
Any particular reason for it being turned end-grain,rather than side-grain ? (Just a question;it looks nice as it is)

Andrew

thanks for all the comments guys

i turned it end grain as i had a nice circular log that i was keen to turn

i dont have much end grain stuff

That looks great! What size is it? What size chuck did you use for the base it seems big. Is the base hollowed out to fit the chuck on the inside?

I like it with the end grain like that and how you can see the rings inside. Brilliant job, hope i can measure up when i am able to start turning on my lathe.

i didnt have a chuck at this point, i just faceplated it and parted it off when i was done. it worked ok

roggatismus you certainly picked the hard way (end grain) to start on bowl turning, but what the heck you did it and no doubt learnt a lot in the process. Well done.

I suspect that you turned this end grain because you had a log and it seemed to make sense. Looks like something I'd do as I do a lot of these. Must say my first one wasn't anything like this though. Like a few others lately you seem to have jumped in the deep end and found you could swim. Something I have noticed is that some people take to turning easily and looks as though you may be one of them.

Pete

Back