Firmer Chisels as Bench Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I've just happened upon a set of nice firmer chisels and I wondered if they have any place for general, lightweight woodworking? I don't really need chisels to whack, but can they be used otherwise? Obviously no good for dovetails, I know. But I might keep them if I can use them in place of my Kirschens.

I'm struggling to think of any process, other than dovetails, which would be adversely affected by having a firmer in your hand instead of a bevel edged. Let's face it, untill you get to the likes of A.I. MkIIs most beveled edges might as well be firmers anyway. The only advantage to the bevel I can see is there's a bit less material to remove when grinding.

Grab 'em, you can never have too many chisels, isn't that right Alf?

Actually these are bevel edged firmers. I might bring them to show you next week Mark.

Trying to work out whether I 'need' them. Or indeed if they are an upgrade from the Kirchens (which I've never been completely over the moon about).

Tom,

If they're made of good steel, there's no reason why you couldn't grind the bevels yourself on a belt sander, or a Tormek type machine. You're only looking for a bevel angle of around 75degrees to clear the walls when cleaning dovetails, so it shouldn't take you too long. I did this on a set of Japanese chisels I once owned.

Bottom line, if the steel's good, keep them!!

Cheers

Aled

I was led to believe they were Bevel Edged Firmers

chisels.jpg

hi tom

beveled edges tom , both the bigger one are getting quite short as well although plenty of working life left in them, the steel look good .hc

wizer":14of7spa said:
I was led to believe they were Bevel Edged Firmers

chisels.jpg
Now I don't think you will like them too much, so I suggest you buy them and pass them on to me, say after Christmas for safe keeping.

head clansman":14of7spa said:
well although plenty of working life left in them, the steel look good
Stop that, he will want to keep hold of them. :roll:

:D

They aren't mega cheap which is why I'm umming and arring.

It sounds like they're not firmers then, so that's a big plus for me.

Not that I'm any sort of collector, but I'd have prefered a 'set'. I'd have like a couple of smaller ones (6 and 3mm). I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for more from the same maker.

Ooh, socketed too, nice. They are a bit short but that makes them almost butts. I take it you've already bought them then?

Oops, scratch that last comment. Just seen your post. BUY!

Paul Chapman":2ibedqmx said:
wizer":2ibedqmx said:
Actually these are bevel edged firmers.
:? :?
The nomenclature has changed over the years, but that's not as crazy as it sounds. Got a 1934 Marples catalogue here that has "bevel-edge firmer chisels". To differentiate from the bevel-edge paring chisels, I assume.

You going to show us them properly and give us the details, Tom? (And you can have too many chisels - trust me...)

Cheers, Alf

According to Joel the socketed type are for joiners to give a good thwacking, so similar purpose I guess

Al, they are Rockford Greenlee. That's all I know right now. I'll take more pics when they are actually in my hands.

I can't find much about the company other than they are still going but do not make woodworking tools any more.

Back