finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you only sanding with the lathe turned on.
If so after each grit and before moving onto the next grit stop the lathe and with the last grit you used sand the bowl following the grain this will help do this with all the grits.
As said before do not go to the next until all the scratches from the previous have gone ie start at 80 sand then go onto 120 but do not move onto the next until all the scratches from the 80 have been removed by the 120 grit and so on from there. Do not be tempted to miss a grit.
It can be a long process but well worth it

Tazmaniandevil":3b44vat9 said:
:lol: I know that feeling. I only get to practice at the weekend, weather permitting, so my progress has been quite slow.

I know im the same im lucky to get in the shed every weekend

Dalboy":3egnp8ze said:
Are you only sanding with the lathe turned on.
If so after each grit and before moving onto the next grit stop the lathe and with the last grit you used sand the bowl following the grain this will help do this with all the grits.
As said before do not go to the next until all the scratches from the previous have gone ie start at 80 sand then go onto 120 but do not move onto the next until all the scratches from the 80 have been removed by the 120 grit and so on from there. Do not be tempted to miss a grit.
It can be a long process but well worth it

That might be the problem I proberley dont sand them long enough

I am looking to buy a Simon Hope Sander http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk/pro_sanders_16.htmlwhen I go to the Southeast Woodworking show next Friday it looks like it could speed up the sanding process I know that I will still have to do some hand sanding especially around any detail work.
For a video see the link

This bowl was sanded using the method I described earlier

DSCF1632_zps2ec4d9cf.jpg

Back