Festool Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a Domino.
Does anyone on the forum use or own one?
If so any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Dom

I breifly used one (only tested in store) It seemed good, but very reliant on user skill - wasn't as fool (or should I say byron) proof as say a biscuit jointer.

I think for the hobbyist it would be total overkill or luxury, but for someone like you where time is money and all that I would imagine it would save you a lot of time doing the M&T's, and you can easily make your own dominoes.

The festool user group is an excellent place to get more details, I know the domino has made a lot of waves in the US of A.

Hi Dom ,
Not supprised that you haven't had any replies to this thread yet (at present 48 views)
these items are quite expensive !!! ( not too many about )
I have been contemplating the purchase of one my self as i dont have a mortiser and don't seem to be able to find the time to make a decent jig for the router :shock:
On thursday of last week i was at a local furniture makers/hardwood suppliers, and just happened to be discussing things with the foreman, when he mentioned the domino "best thing we ever bought " he said.
FWW had an article about them a month or two back and they said that some part was a bit fiddly and broke due to overtightening (their fault) and festool replaced the whole front of it.
so my 2ps worth is,
thoroughly recommended by local furniture makers and festools seemingly excellent service has almost convinced me that its a good investment !!!
the only thing that i dont like is that it only comes with one size of cutter the rest are extra !!!
i will be very interested to see if anyone else has any experience of the domino

Pipped to the post !! (must be the Magners !!!)
Good lad Byron !!! :lol:
i forgot to mention ,
thinking about the way the cutter works i would assume you would need a really firm grip of the machine and the workpiece clamped down fairly well ?
as i find my cheapo biscuit joiner can slightly kick when it wants to.

You want Newbie Neil and Steve Maskery who both own one :wink:

I know Steve is very mpressed with his (saw it at his bash) and uses it all the time. He made his own 'dominoes' which saves him a packet.

I was pretty impresed with what I saw and if it was half the price they are asking, I would say it would be worth the money :wink:

Gary M":15rvivs1 said:
thinking about the way the cutter works i would assume you would need a really firm grip of the machine and the workpiece clamped down fairly well ?
Gary, on the Domino demo DVD it shows the machine being used one-handed (i.e. plunging hand only) so I guess that there isn't really any appreciable kick. The video is probably online somewhere.

Cheers,
Neil

Tim - how do you find the statement I made in my first post - is it quite reliant on user accuracy as I found during a demo - or does it become a lot simpler to use with time?

What is the main advantage of the Domino ?

Is it a replacement for M&t's or does it replace a biscuit jointer, or both, or something else ?

Probably missing the point ?!!!

Cheers, Paul. :D

Hi Dom

It is excellent. I would recommend that you also buy the Trim Stop and the Cross Stop.

One of them saves on marking up and the other is used for narrow boards.

They're about 25gbp each, but I got them thrown in when I bought the Domino.

This link shows the tester pack gives you a sample of all the different size domino biscuits, a full set of cutters and a systainer case.

Cheers
Neil

Thank you for all of your replies both on and off forum,it's greatly appreciated.
I shall go and look at one in the flesh tomorrow and if I buy will report back.

Thank you
Dom

Well I'm not going to buy one while their brochure says that you 'route' a slot with it. [-( :roll:

Hi Dom

Depending on the intended use the new Lamello part biscuits or the Hoffman dovetail joiner system, as favoured by some shop fitters and stand builders, could actually be more useful.

Scrit

Newbie_Neil":3nynebbp said:
Hi Dan

Dan Clark":3nynebbp said:
Nick,

Perhaps I'm being obtuse... The Domino routes a slot (mortise) for loose tenons. Why is that an issue?

Regards,

Dan.

Over here it would rout a slot.

Cheers,
Neil

Ah... Humor! Sorry, we don't do that on this side of the pond. 8)

Dan.

Dan Clark":1m3map6w said:
Ah... Humor! Sorry, we don't do that on this side of the pond. 8) Dan.

You mean you don't do body fluids? :?

Perhaps you meant to say we don't do humour :lol:

Steve

Humor: Physiology. 1. A body fluid, such as blood, lymph, or bile.

Back