Faithfull Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to update the thread. I decided on the Ryder LA block plane which arrived this morning. Although inexpensive at £37 delivered, it's a much superior finish to the Faithfull and although the blade needs a tickle, it works out of the box. As can be seen from the photo, the finish is far better than on the one I posted earlier.

Thanks for the advice given.

Isn't Faithful a white-label product from Stanley? A least that's what I was told by a dealer who sells the brand.
The block planes I examined were useless "from the box", and would require a lot of working on. I wouldn't touch a Stanley by-product with a 3m pole (well, I did...)

MyChina-made Juuma low angle block plane was very good straight from the box. Just needed the usual fettling, and polishing and honing the iron. My Juuma smoother the same.

Only "fault" I find in both of them is a bit of overweight - the smoother weighs as much as a "standard" no.5, the block plane is 0.9 kg - but I can cope with that, and rather like the weight of the block plane.

G.

Back