External Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BECKS

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings, Has anybody used Fiddes exterior high build oil? Mixed reviews so far. Intend to use it on exterior Ash. Tried Osma on some oak last year and wasn't terribly impressed. The less sunny placed stuff is fine but a handrail and balcony which are South facing are black in places and in need of serious work.
Many thanks

:p Robin, well aware of that, however, this is for a truck. Morris Travellers and Morgan cars used ash extensively. Pro's and Con's with everything. Anybody used the Fiddes?

I haven't but it might be worth giving Morgan's tek folks a call as they may well let you know what they use for their coachwork. Its not on display mind so they might coat it in something really toxic. Just a thought.

RobinBHM":3mlytxbm said:
Ash is not really considered to be a timber suitable for external use.

I work making cart wheels for a short while, someone should of pointed that out as most wheels have ash rims, oak spokes and elm hubs, the ash is there as it is less resilient than the oak and elm and so the ash rim fails before anything else, and is easy to replace when it does. Having said that you would still expect 25+ years from a set of wheels if they're properly maintained.

On topic not sure about cleat finishes, but maybe a sickens/sampling type product might be best.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back