exterior european oak and fillers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodnovice

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I recently made an oak window for someone which they've finished with Ronseal exterior stain, I pinned the beads in with stainless pins and used a wax to cover the heads, this was all done in the shop and the window pre-finished before it went on site. After a few months the wax is pushing out of the pin holes...anyone any thoughts... and also any alternative ways of filling the holes...for future reference

Regards

Mick

Hi Mick,
Yes I've often seen this happen and as yet haven't given it much thought, but I'm now thinking, the pins have pushed the wood fibers to one side not removed them you have then filled the space with a filler, the wood is now outside and the change in temp and humidity may be relaxing those compressed fibers which are now returning to cover the pins and pushing out the filler, so perhaps one answer would be to not fill but use a wet rag and hot iron to see if the pin holes will disappear on their own and only fill as last resort.
This is only theory mind but maybe worth a experiment.

Crispy,
Interesting theory, I had originally toyed with the idea of just leaving the pins seen, flush with the surface of the oak...but thought maybe the client wouldn't be keen on that aesthetically, so decided to fill them...wishing I hadn't now as the oak is discolouring around where the pin is where the water is sitting in the pin hole where the wax has been pushed out...

Sma e happened to me. I now either use copper puns and leave them showing or pre drill the holes through the beads for the nails. Not had the problem since starting to use he later method for oak.

The only other thing to watch is the moisture content of the beads at the start and ensuring they are sealed completely on all faces before fixing. Oak moves a lot IMO.

Can't say I've ever had that happen although the nailgun does bury them a fair way under the surface. Out of curiosity how deep were the heads ? Best colour filler I found for oak (or iroko ) is the green tinned teak exterior brummers- might be worth a try.

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Perhaps its because the Ronseal stain is water based and is not compatible with the wax.
I must admit Ronseal is one of my favorite finishes, It really does what it says on the tin, in my opinion.
Also the wax, used as a stopper,has reacted to the exterior temperatures.
Regards Rodders

Back