Experimental pyro`d bowl! (update)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I would be interested in what you think of this bowl, not sure about the lid I think it definitely needs one but this particular one ? I`ve not applied any finish to it yet just undecided about the lid before finishing it. Apologies about the dark pics ;)

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

Its a shape I`ve seen and quite liked but that finial???
IMG_1010.jpg

Cheers
Steve

The ferrule / finial is possibly the only thing that needs a bit of work. It's really cool. The lid is ideal IMHO, just a more delicate finial for it

Pete

I agree Pete is it ferrule or finial? .Not too hot on finials/ferrules have to work on those :wink:
Cheers
Steve :)

Yes, give it a slimmer possibly shorter finial and then leave well alone I think. A lot of wrist ache time invested there.

What if any sealing finish have you used Steve?

None yet Chas I tried different finishes on an offcut but they darkened the wood too much even my favourite Lemon oil it reduced the contrast between the green/cream of the wood and the dark burn lines too much. Acrylic sanding sealer seems promising followed I thought by one of the buffing systems Beal or Chestnut?. I'd quite like to make one of Mark Sangers finials looks like a wiggly worm best I can describe it :lol:
Steve

i think its superb mate, love the pattern and the way you have done it. I agree with the finial remarks, but you did it proud.
Did you leave a shaped piece on the wood you kept going around, i see the same pattern all over it.
Takes someone brave to do that after turning a bowl like that, well done.

Ta Steve I used a small template for each piece. I did a sort of WIP which I'll post when it's finished if folk are interested.
Steve

Hi Steve,

A very nice piece - you have really got to grips with this pyro lark :lol:

I agree with the comments about a smaller finial, but other than that think the whole piece looks excellent as is.

Malc :D

Very nice looking piece Steve :D
The finial for me does let it down a bit,and would suit something more delicate looking.Great attempt though :D
Looking forward to the WIP.

Hi Steve,
Interesting beginning the pyro work looks great but I have to agree the finial is not great and requires some work,for me this is an interesting beginning, let it sit a while before adding finishes this has a lot of potential.
Great work.
Nick Arnull.

Hi all
Thanks for the comments I appreciate them all good or not so good :) I am quite cross with myself knocking up that finial before its ready, again I seem to have a need to see an end result as quick as poss :x Must try harder. The finial is definitely going. Nice idea letting it stand for a day or two Nick before deciding what to do next (If I can wait that long :lol: :lol: )
Steve

I think its bloody brilliant, and the finial suits well,

Thanks for that Loz, This ruddy lid is becoming an obsession with me, after Marks comments in my WIP post I`m trying all sorts of finials, I`ve currently got two bits of 4mm steel wire sticking out at an angle simulating blades of grass so god knows where the grey matter will take me on this one.
All part of the `fun`(?) :?
Steve

Hi folks
Sorry for carrying on this thread past its sell by but I`m determined to get this lid right :?
This is lid 9 or 10 and one I`m fairly happy with but would welcome comments if I`m going the right way or not?

IMG_1015.jpg

I`d love to be able to make some of those delicate finials made by folk like Mark Sanger or Cindy Drozda but not sure how to go about it, got Marks dvd maybe get Cindy`s??
Thanks
Steve

Cheers for that Steve, I`ve been using Tulipwood and with this stuff you either get darkish green or cream which is why the lid is lighter than the bowl and as you know when you are making something what looks ok to you might look horrible to others, glad you think it looks ok :)
Steve

Back