Euro block profiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genn

Reaction score
Hello everyone :lol: , I have decided to take the plunge and join the forums, i have been trolling the site for a long time and seen some interesting topics etc.

My question may not be answerable but here goes, is there any description of what the use of the each euro block cutters is related to the patten number? I mean you can look and see pretty shapes but is that all they are?

Thanks Genn

Hi
I haven't seen a written discription of cutter uses but some of the catalogues show what profile you I'll create with it. I don't think it's difficult to see from looking at the cutter what you will get from all or part of the cutter profile. An excellent pair of examples are profiles 125 and 126 they give four sizes of quarter round using parts of the cutter. Owning both allows you to mould from top or bottom edges, if you are the owner of a machine which can run in reverse you only need one set.
I would suggest that you buy cutters as you need them rather than one of the sets sold together with a block. A look at Wealden or Trends lists of cutters you will show all available profiles rather than just the popular ones. In my experience Appleby Woodturnings at Swadlincote Derbyshire are a good supplier in terms of price and quality..
Mike.

I find the whole euro cutter thing very frustrating, there are a lot of the euro cutter profiles that I would never have a use for yet they never seem to make the profiles I need!

Doug

You can get them easily made up to your drawings, I have used cutterprofilers.co.uk in the past very easy and quick just email them a sketch of what you want.

It may be my limited imagination, but I've yet to find a job I've not been able to do with standard cutters. I do however tend to use Whitehill and find that their range of scribe cutters covers just about every eventuality for mounded joints.

If you have something you want to mould and can't find a suitable cutter, perhaps you could highlight it and it may be possible to find a standard solution for you?

It may be my limited imagination, but I've yet to find a job I've not been able to do with standard cutters. I do however tend to use Whitehill and find that their range of scribe cutters covers just about every eventuality for mounded joints.

If you have something you want to mould and can't find a suitable cutter, perhaps you could highlight it and it may be possible to find a standard solution for you?

Hi All,

Thank for your replies, there is no specific profile i have in mind it was more a case of is there a description of where and how a specific profile would be used. Take 124, definitely for rails and stiles but what is the thickness of stock needed to start? Some of the profiles are self explanatory from images others are what the hell would you use that for categories.

Just a bit about me, not a young lad anymore, not done woodworking since school ~30yr ago, last year I bought a knackered 50' narrowboat, which I use as my second home where I work. I have done a complete strip to bare metal both inside and out while living on it #-o and am now in the process of fitting it out. In the narrowboat I have a 4'x2' bench (A fair selection of hand tools which I am adding to at an alarming rate, always seem to need a different tool to do a specific job) a decent sized bandsaw and a kity CK26, I got the kity for a steal off fleabay as it was listed as broken, the motor needed a rewire 10 minute job and then I had very useful machine with lots of tooling for £150, it came with the rail/stile door kit an extra 150mm raised panel block, a kity euro block with ~30 pairs of cutters some of which i have used some of which I look at and say WTF would I possibly use those for? It also came complete with every guard for every tool, ring fences etc and the morticer, the complete one not the one that uses a chuck mounted on the plane block.
I was also lucky in that I recieved a lot of free hardwood, I asked the building service manager at the University I work to keep an eye out for any that was being chucked. At the time we were having a new workshop built, the old one had a low wall around all of the machinery to act as an oil bund for accidental spill protection which he gave me. This turned out to be made from 100x100mm mahogany and oak ~400 linear feet of each, which I have been using to manufacture trim, doors and furniture hence the need for the bandsaw :D . I will be running out of that wood soon and am considering buying one of the 10cu/ft oak bundles from Scawton sawmills which I know has good reviews on here, for the price of it when I reach the end of the Mahogany I will probably never even consider buying any more :lol: .

Back