Electrolytic derusting my experience (wip)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest that anybody hoping to to use a PC power supply for this sort of purpose should:
a) Read the linked article - it is not a matter of connecting the red and yellow wires together, in fact I would strongly advise against that.
b) Be aware that the negative voltages available from a PC PSU can not deliver anything like the same current as the positive ones, and that the putative 17 volts will be limited to the lower current capability of the -5V supply.

John Brown":1j8rgco2 said:
I would suggest that anybody hoping to to use a PC power supply for this sort of purpose should:
a) Read the linked article - it is not a matter of connecting the red and yellow wires together, in fact I would strongly advise against that.
b) Be aware that the negative voltages available from a PC PSU can not deliver anything like the same current as the positive ones, and that the putative 17 volts will be limited to the lower current capability of the -5V supply.

I had it working but thats going back a couple of years - I definitely got 17 volts from the power pack - but I remember it taking a bit of fiddling. As I said in previous post - I THOUGHT it may be the red and yellow that supply the molex connectors but im not that sure now ive sat and thought about it.

I have a spare psu somewhere and when i get chance ill lend a mulitimeter and try it again.

ATB

Gav

tool-me-up":1v4ur4p0 said:
John Brown":1v4ur4p0 said:

I had it working but thats going back a couple of years - I definitely got 17 volts from the power pack - but I remember it taking a bit of fiddling. As I said in previous post - I THOUGHT it may be the red and yellow that supply the molex connectors but im not that sure now ive sat and thought about it.

I have a spare psu somewhere and when i get chance ill lend a mulitimeter and try it again.

ATB

Gav

You won't have any trouble getting the 17 volts but the actual current will be restricted by the negative (earth) line on the 5v side as John said.

It's the current you need to measure. You'll find using a PC PSU that you'll get a larger current just using the 12v on it's own as the -12v rail allows more current flow back than the -5v rail.

I see, I misread your post, sorry John. Yes the 5v rail has a lower wattage rating than the 12v rail. It should be stated on the side of the powerpack

I think I had mine like that for etching more than anything else, which didnt require as much amps as I wanted the process to be slow and gradual.

For rust removal I found a laptop charger provided a lot more wattage as it was 24v and around 5 amps i think

Latest posts

Back