Edge Trimming with Plunge Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to trim about 1mm of the edges of a couple of 18mm thick oak boards. Normally I'd just use a hand plane but I've injured my wrist - can I use a rail guided plunge saw to do this or will the blade deflect taking suck a thin cut?

Thanks

Joel

Hi Joel,

I have a Festool Ts55 and use it all the time for this type of job, it's hugely quicker than using a plane, and the finish is immaculate.

Just take it slow, and be aware of the dust as your extraction is compromised because of the nature of the cut.

good luck

Jed

I have a ts55s and routers and would've thought the router was the obvious choice as, although the finish is good with the festool, it is likely to be better with a router, and a bearing guided bit lends itself to jobs like this anyway.

Guess it's up to you. Router is cheaper option if you need to buy as well.

HTH

Neil

neilyweely":z7mamkp0 said:
. . . . Router is cheaper option if you need to buy as well.

A cheaper option would be take the boards to a timber yard or joiners and give them a tenner to do it! As you are in the South West you may well be close to another forum member who might help out.

Steve

Back