Edge banding MDF?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainSawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Planning on building a painted media unit over the summer for a new house- it won't be holding much weight so wondering about making it out of MDF (because its cheaper than ply) but I'm not sure about the potential exposed edges.

Is it possible to use regular iron-on edge banding on MDF?

Thanks

Just swipe the edges with a sharp plane and then a hot iron I find there's no need for the edging, the heat and pressure on it's own seals the mdf

Dewaxed shellac (helps if you mix it yourself and therefore always have half a jam jar of it knocking around).

Thanks for the different options folks. Will experiment with them when I get my workshop back (moving house) and see how I get on.

I have used MDF for a number of projects including Kitchens, Bedroom Cupboards and Free Standing Furniture. The type I prefer to use is Moisture Resistant which tends to keep a far better edge when cut and also takes paint finishes better than standard MDF.

When cutting MDF I like to use a Triple Chip Saw Blade for a clean cut and then sand the edges down with Aluminium Oxide 320 and 400 grit. I may do an initial cut with a saw blade then use a router and straight edge to obtain a clean cut on the edge.

If you smooth the edges down well with fine abrasive paper it will take paint without too much trouble, it's when you don't prepare the material that you have difficulty obtaining a nice finish.

I paint MDF with a high build primer suitable for MDF. Sometimes I will prime all of the cut edges and sand down when dry then prime the entire item. I have never used an edging on MDF prior to painting but if I did I would still prepare the edges to the same standard as above to ensure the edging adhered well to to MDF.

Mark

Haven't edge-banded MDF since I started using a decent quality MR MDF. Clean up the edges with a P120, then a coat of water-based acrylic primer/undercoat. Let it dry, then rub it back, and give it a second coat. Then it's just a light de-nib, and your topcoats. Job done.

Cheers. P

Latest posts

Back