ECE Plough Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoinsgaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

It being christmas, and there being no one better placed to get me the perfect christmas present than myself, I've being browsing for a bargain or two.

I have returned to Rutlands clearance lines a few times and there is an ECE plough plane at half price (£130.00). However I must be careful as the wallet proof imp inside has been very impressed by the glossy photograph of said plane.

Logic must prevail so, is this good value? I'm sure its a good price for this particular plane but are they a good tool? Of course I keep asking myself the same question - why is it in the clearance line if its any good?

All thoughts would be welcome.

Regards

Eoin

I've not used one, but it's likely to be well made. However, to me it looks dear at £130 or outrageous at £270!

If you want a trad style plough, they go for very little on ebay - generally under £20. Sets of irons (ie more than 3!) are a bit rarer but are available from old tool dealers.

£100 will often get you a complete Record 405 in decent condition, which is a lovely solid tool that I would recommend. If you want a new tool you could get a modern Veritas plough for the same money as the reduced ECE.

By the way, it doesn't fill me with confidence that the tool in the Rutlands picture has its blade in back to front!

30S.jpg

Thanks lads.

I'm tending towards the a Stanley 45 or record 405. The plane you have highlighted Martin looked a nice buy until I was aked for an additional £30 to have it shipped. That was a little too saucy for me.

However the hunt goes on.

Eoin

Back