eBay scam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammyhl

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum ( but not to eBay). I'm looking for a planet /thicknesser but I'm guessing a Marin TP300 is way too industrial for my needs.

However there's a chap on eBay who's sold two in the last week with a third about to go today (all using the same ad) He only has a feedback of 2 both from the same eBay user, one for one of the Marin's and the other for a 100ft steel building (the same building he's listed for sale again..).

Looks to me like a classic eBay scam. Am going to have to report ...

eBay item 321992065713

If he is a genuine seller he will not object to you viewing the item before you bid. I recently bought an item from a seller on ebay who had no feedback at all, I got it at half the price I was expecting. when I went to pick it up in a fairly run down industrial area of Birmingham I did start to wonder if I had been scammed. It turned out to be a Christian based charity that had just started up, the guy running it was an ex con, he could not have been nicer or more straight forward and even gave me a receipt. For a large expensive item such as a planer thicknesser or a steel framed building a seller must expect people to come and view. I know Kidderminster is a long way from West Sussex but it may be worth the trip.

It does seem a bit odd, no description of the actual machine (only specification list) and says ebay transactions only. Usually such heavy machines would be collection only.

Only somebody willing to visit should bid.

Usually scams are machines supposedly based in the highlands, ie too far for people to view.

If it was the only item then sure it might just be a newbie. But if you at the Sold items there are two more identical ads. And if you check the feedback it's from the same person.

It does look a bit strange.
Although I would say that a buyer would be protected by Paypal, and Ebay does usually side with the buyer rather than the seller in any dispute. So I would imagine if anything went wrong the risk to the buyer would be quite low.

Back