Ebay - again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
How long do you leave it from end of an auction where you've sold something to offering a second chance?

Over 24 hours since I 'sold' something and no response from 'winner'.

Ebay say they send a reminder about payment after 3 days but this seems overly generous to me. I'm thinking 48 hours max then offer a second chance.

Is there a 'rule' on this? Haven't been able to track anything down.

i dont think 24 hours is reasonable. People may have registered a bid and not be available to pay immediately when the auction ends.

I leave it 3 days then send them a second invoice. If after 10 days they haven't paid I open and "unpaid item" case in the resolution centre. If they still don't pay then it's through the tiresome process of getting the fees back and eventually relisting.

If you don't go through the process properly you'll not get your fees refunded and the defaulting buyer won't get a black mark.

If you relist too soon, without going through the correct process, and it sells quickly to another buyer you can get in a right pickle if the original one pays up. Be warned,

In the days of snail mail, I believe three days was the minimum.

Nowadays things move much faster, but not everyone is like me and checks in 5 or 6 times a day,

So three days is not unreasonable.

I have a query about the other way round. I bid and won and tried to pay the next morning but couldn't as the seller had not put any postage costs. I sent a message asking for them to do this so I can pay and 3 days later haven't had anything back. what do I do?

Droogs":9z3s3xd5 said:
I have a query about the other way round. I bid and won and tried to pay the next morning but couldn't as the seller had not put any postage costs. I sent a message asking for them to do this so I can pay and 3 days later haven't had anything back. what do I do?
Are you sure it's not "Collect only"? I didn't think you could list without either stating "collect only" or selecting a postage option.
Regards Keith

Contact eBay if the seller won't reply but I expect Keith is right and it's collection only.

but out of curiosity, what if it was collection only. how would i pay for it then if you can't complete the transaction on the site. Even if I was collecting, I'd still want th elegal protection afforded by using the site to pay.

Droogs":3fi4lwkj said:
postage was listed as courier
I've never been involved in an E-Bay transaction where a courier is involved. It seems a weakness in the system if it allows the seller to dictate the courier costs after the bidding is complete. If they were very expensive do you have the option of not completing?

Regards Keith

Woodchips2":3rt5g62j said:
Droogs":3rt5g62j said:
postage was listed as courier
I've never been involved in an E-Bay transaction where a courier is involved. It seems a weakness in the system if it allows the seller to dictate the courier costs after the bidding is complete. If they were very expensive do you have the option of not completing?

Regards Keith
I've just checked by starting a dummy auction and if I specify "courier" it still needs a price entered. The only way to not set a price is by "collection only". So I've no idea how this auction was allowed through. Very odd.

I has now been paid for as a message came through and I was able to complete the sale. didnt see any option to back out if I thought the courier price was too high.
heres the link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252075527457? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I know its only a book but would like to add it to the my library to replace one i lent out and didnt get back

Droogs":38qbuivu said:
I has now been paid for as a message came through and I was able to complete the sale. didnt see any option to back out if I thought the courier price was too high.
heres the link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252075527457? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I know its only a book but would like to add it to the my library to replace one i lent out and didnt get back
Granted you got the book for a good price, but whatever the price I would want to know the shipping cost before bidding.

I have seen this sort of thing before but as mentioned already, whenever I've listed stuff it has to have a shipping cost stated if it's not collection only.

regards

Brian

Droogs":3h6j26go said:
but out of curiosity, what if it was collection only. how would i pay for it then if you can't complete the transaction on the site. Even if I was collecting, I'd still want th elegal protection afforded by using the site to pay.
As a regular seller on eBay, if I have an item that is collection only, I make it very clear on the listing page that I will only accept cash on collection. I am more than happy to offer a receipt if asked for.
Too many scammer buyers for me to do otherwise and if the buyer doesn't like my terms then they shouldn't bid - simples.

regards

Brian

Back