Ebay advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomatwark":154b7uzq said:
Vann":154b7uzq said:
Just out of intrest, what brand of plane was it? I ask because the ductile iron of Veritas and Lie-Nielsen planes is supposed to be almost unbreakable, and I've seen a video of the Clifton drop tests.

That is a very good point, I am sure reading on here that Matthew from Workshop Heaven has seen this done at the factory.

Tom

I have a copy of the DVD made at the Clifton works where they dropped Clifton plane bodies about 20 feet on to a concrete floor, which resulted in no damage to the planes. If the plane was well packed, it would seem unlikely that it would have been damaged in the post. However, it's going to be difficult to establish exactly how the crack was caused.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

gasman":31yb2bxp said:
Thanks to all of you for the advice... I thought long and hard about it and, even though I do not think I was in the wrong, I have offered him a refund of his costs so far (but not the postage of the plane back to me) which he is happy with. I have used this plane very little, I did not have it from new, and I suppose it is just possible there was a tiny crack - as it is only 10 mm long in total. I looked at the one photo I have and it is of the other side - typical. I hate conflict like this on ebay and therefore have decided to keep the plane for the moment
I just do not like conflict like this
Thanks again
Mark

I think this is the only realistic approach and, am slightly surprised that the buyer was happy compromise on the return postage. Quite understand the conflict averse approach - 100% the same/life's too short and my reputation is too important (not as an ebay seller!)

As has been pointed out you are responsible for transit damage (unless the buyer insists upon some specific non-standard approach!)

If you have a good quality digital image of any part of the plane then you can at least verify that the plane returned is the one you sent out - the one thing I would check carefully.

Back