Easing a box's fit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a little box, and I'm quite pleased with the shape etc. of it, but in my excitement at getting a close fit on the lathe, I now have a box with a lid that is just too tightly fitting. (i.e. it needs a chisel or something to lever it off!).

So, is it as simple as a sanding around the mating parts to ease the fit? Are there any other suggestions that might do the job before I go and ruin the whole thing?

Sanding would be one solution the other if possible is to remount and turn it. Remember that sometimes that a lid will be tight in two places if it is turned 90* it may loosen up.

I always make boxes with a lid that slips off when opening with one hand, it is very nice to produce one with a lid that pops but most times it is not needed

Thanks, I was thinking that alright. No real ability to remount it, hence the question. I'm terrible for doing that - getting excited about the shape or finish on a box in particular and forgetting the last pass on a box lid!

The pop is definitely something I'm aiming for but I am beginning to agree and think that usability trumps popping.

Brianp":1ouz6ret said:
Thanks, I was thinking that alright. No real ability to remount it, hence the question. I'm terrible for doing that - getting excited about the shape or finish on a box in particular and forgetting the last pass on a box lid!

The pop is definitely something I'm aiming for but I am beginning to agree and think that usability trumps popping.

It mainly is only another turner that will pick up on the pop lid. The only occasion that I would make a lid pop is if I was making one for a ring for example where you would not want the lid just to fall off so to speak.

Box lids,if for use, should slide on and off smoothly. The wood is definitely going to move as the temperature, humidity etc changes and if you have a pop fit, whilst very impressive for a competition it will be next to useless as a practical item long term.

pete

Hi Brian,
I ease the fit of my boxes by going through the grits by hand as you say. If you want to make your boxes with a pop fit then go right ahead and ignore the nay-sayers. I think it all depends on what your box is for. I make both tight and loose fitting boxes.

The starting grit depends how tight the starting fit is but I do it once the finish is on and so wish to disturb only the spigot. Holding a small piece of abrasive (single layer unfolded with a square edge against the bottom of the spigot) between finger and thumb, using the end of your thumb against the bottom of the spigot as a guide rotate the box so that the abrasive just sands the spigot. Keep rotating until the fit is eased enough. Then repeat for the finer grits in turn. Apply sanding sealer carefully to the spigot only, cut back and either power buff or apply your finish of choice.

Hope this helps
Jon

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts, guys. I took some 80 grit to it, gently, last evening, and now I have a nice, tight fitting lid that my sister can open to put stuff in (and take stuff out) of. Popping it doesn't, but usable it is.

It's a lesson in boxes, really. They're all good, them. Lessons, that is.

Brianp
Glad to see you have resolved this issue. As has been pointed out there are in essence 2 types of lids for boxes.

Russian or French

Wait for it................................

Popoff

Touloose

Phil

treeturner123":2uiajzby said:
there are in essence 2 types of lids for boxes.
Russian or French

Popoff

Touloose

Phil
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't heard that one before.

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts, guys. I took some 80 grit to it, gently, last evening, and now I have a nice, tight fitting lid that my sister can open to put stuff in (and take stuff out) of. Popping it doesn't, but usable it is.

You may get it back from her in 3-4 weeks to ease the lid again. Remember that wood constantly moves depending on the humidity of the surroundings.

Back