dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all
first off sory about this post should of searched first but keep forgeting that bit.in the end i got myself the powercap lite had it 2 days now and i got to say best investment so far.put it on first half hour was a bit wiered then totaly for got about it just like wearing a cap.then at the end of the day tapped out the fillters and could not beleave how much dust came of.
so god knows how much dust is in my lungs :shock:

andy

Glad you are doing something to protect your lungs andy, just remember the filtration level limitations with MDF etc. and the limited impact resistance of the light version when using the lathe for larger items.

I take it the filters are not rated for MDF? Can you upgrade?

wizer":32v0h8kk said:
I take it the filters are not rated for MDF? Can you upgrade?
Tom it's not the filters, although there are higher spec ones, it's the lack of face seal and the limited guarantee that dust does not get drawn into the face shield via the sides if you take a deep breath for instance when the flow is dropping off.

See my review of Powercap IP for inward leakage class info.

EDIT: ( The HSE Link in the above is now invalid: See Here for latest Sheet)Above ref. doc. now updated.

On the Powercap unit as supplied to me the filters carried the filtration standard but the mask itself had no classification labels at all, unlike the Trend.

I don't know if current units are supplied with different filters or carry different classification labels.

Still on the subject of dust protection.

Has anyone any experience of using the Trend Airace respirator, and could provide any feedback or advice?

I want to upgrade my lung protection, as I fear my current two-filter mask isn't really cutting it.

I've read with interests the posts about Powercap (doesn't look to snug a fit) and the Trend Airshield (looks very expensive for the amount of use I'd get out of it).

In case it helps, my workshop is a single garage, so fairly small, I mainly work in softwoods or hard wood like oak or maple, but occasionally cut mdf (and indeed plan to use more of the veneered variety in future to make furniture carcasses) so that has to be a consideration.

Many thanks in advance for anything useful anyone can come back with.

Cheers

Alan

i have the airace and i have been very pleased with it. I particuarly like the way the air is directed downwards when you exhale, away from your safety glasses preventing them from steaming up.

well worth the money in my book!1

regards

michael

Alan it sounds like you need an AirAce. The Airsheild is really intended for constant use. I have the Ace and I forget I'm wearing it most of the time. The amount of dust bogies has reduced significantly so it's doing it's job.

Thanks for the feedback Michael - I like the idea of the air venting away from the eyes - my current dust mask is always steaming up my glasses (I think partly again due to the poor fitting around the top of mouth and nose allowing air up and out).

Stuff like this makes me less likely to make sure I put it all on when making just a 'quick cut or two' - whereas I want something that is comfortable that I can just get into the habit of wearing it all the time.

wizer - many thanks, much appreciated. It does sound like I might be placing an order online soon!

What with the current "heatwave" (harrumph!) I might be spending more time in the workshop than usual to keep out of the rain.

i have the airace and i have been very pleased with it. I particuarly like the way the air is directed downwards when you exhale, away from your safety glasses preventing them from steaming up.

well worth the money in my book!1

regards

michael

I have the Powercap lite and am very happy with it indeed - very good value I thought, and you soon forget you're wearing it. I use it for hand sanding and at the bandsaw. I don't machine MDF.

There is one slight worry for the super paranoid though. You sometimes read about mobile phone batteries exploding spectacularly. Wearing the lite version you have one strapped to each side of your head :D

Cheers

Marcus

marcus":1qy4snv3 said:
......There is one slight worry for the super paranoid though. You sometimes read about mobile phone batteries exploding spectacularly. Wearing the lite version you have one strapped to each side of your head :D
Cheers
Marcus
Just think of them as a couple of extra highly charged brain cells :lol:

I keep going back and forth on what one I want. I think the power cap will win as I already have the air ace which I can use for MDF. The power cap will mainly be used when turning.

wizer":3oyl1wpe said:
..... I think the power cap will win as I already have the air ace which I can use for MDF. The power cap will mainly be used when turning.

Make sure it's the IP version, you will have some large chunks of wood on that lathe.

marcus":1uzdhnw5 said:
There is one slight worry for the super paranoid though. You sometimes read about mobile phone batteries exploding spectacularly. Wearing the lite version you have one strapped to each side of your head :D

Cheers

Marcus

On my power cap the battery pack goes on my belt - but that said the issue with batteries exploding is while they are being recharged not while they are in use.

On the dust protection front I had an airshield mk1 for 8 years but if finally died and i bought a powercap instead as a replacement and its fine - probably better than the asirshield for not admitting dust via the face seal

The air ace looks good for general use but not for turning or some other machines as it doesnt give you full face pro - and thats a must - check out what happened to johnny T (the bowl that bit back) for a cautionary why

I've got an airace, but I'm not happy with the fit - I guess I have a bony face or something. I replaced it with one of these:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=719630&name=vitrex&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44

It has a really squishy seal and I find it much more comfortable than the airace. You can really ratchet the elastic up to get a good seal because the pressure is distributed evenly so I don't mind wearing it all day. I can also now do the "hold it against your face by breathing in and covering the filters test".

I feel much more reassured now because I can't smell the thing that I'm machining when I wear it, unlike the airace

Back