DUST MASKS - again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
Updating my dust mask as I am getting some leakage somewhere as my sinuses are playing up every time I do some woodwork. I do have a sensative hooter and although I have previously been satisfied with the AirAce 2000, I'm looking for something with greater filtration.

Thoughts are now on the 3M 7500 half mask that can take the P100 filter, plus a carbon filter as well and maybe I need this level of filtration now.

Can anyone let me know if they use this or something similar. I do need a good fit above nose as I wear glasses and the AirAce was good for not misting the glasses. Thanks

What about one of the positive pressure masks. I use an Aircap and it is brilliant, very easy to wear even beardy types can use it.

Prefer a half mask if possible as wearing glasses. Also a little unsure about the filters used with say £M 7500 with 2096 and 2097 as example. Which should I use?

I use the Elipse P3 in work and it's a great mask. Not bulky at all, lightweight and doesn't mist up glasses like the paper ones do. My biggest problem with the paper mask was the fact it was steaming up my glasses so I couldn't see where my hands were when I was using the table saw, Spindle moulder etc and I ended up just taking them off. I was doing a large Iroko job and I decided I had enough of coughing and wheezing so I invested in a proper mask which was the Elipse P3 and haven't looked back since. I can wear it for a full 8-12 hour shift and the only thing you have to do is clear out the condensation inside if that bothers you, it happens with any good mask though. I usually change the filters once a year and blow them out occasionally before use.

I use a 3M 7500 with the relevant filters for spraying, I find it to be a good mask - comfortable and no noticeable leakage. I don't have any particular issues with other masks fitting though so maybe my face is the right shape!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I also use the 7500 for spraying and also wear glasses. The nose section is very high and does produce for me at least a seal where I get no fogging, or more importantly no leakage around the mask. Easy to use and wear. However, there is only set of my glasses I can wear as it tends prevent my other glasses sitting down properly on my nose / mask for me to see properly as I wear varifocals. Fixed lens glasses are fine.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I think I will try the 3M 7500 and see how I go with that one. I have also realised that I have overlooked the dust after finishing work. The process of taking off the mask after the work, BUT, then, when indoors, taking off the work clothes. I believe some of the problem could well be from the dust on the clothes as I change.

Second thought would therefore be a set of overalls, so the work clothes stay clean when woodworking and I take off the overalls before coming into the house. That may be the main problem, but a new mask wont hurt as I've had the AirAce 2000 for a few years now and although it looks OK and I change filters about every 6-8 months, it may need changing. Any suggestions on overalls?

Yet another Elipse P3 user here, I wear glasses also and have no fogging issues.
I do a fair amount of house refurbishment and work in very dusty environment a lot of the time.

I too have a very sensitive snozzle, I have tried pretty much everything and in the end went down the 3M versilfo route. Really expensive new but they can be bought for reasonable money second hand. I wear mine as soon as I entre the workshop, blow my clothes down with an air line when I leave and then have a shower. Seems extreme but it works

Another one for the 3M 7500, best I've ever had. Comfortable, works great and good value.

Thanks again. I think I will try my waterproof golfing trousers and jacket with zip up front over some light work clothes. I can then shake it off and get rid of the top layer, then remove the mask and go in. Should be a lot better. Next step is the £M 7503 and filters tomorrow morning. Will use the P100 initially and see if that is enough or if not, then add the carbon filter. Just a bit fed up with a stuffy nose for a day or so every time I woodwork. Will give a shout if t all works, but dont expect a photo. Thanks again. End thread.

I've recently spent some 10's of hours in two old lofts prepping them for woodworm treatment. I've been living in a tyvek CSI suit (awesome at keeping the glass fibres out !) and an elipse p3 half mask.
The mask has been good. The work has been physical so there's been LOTS of condensation. It's softer and more comfortable than some 3M masks I've tried but fit could be a little better. It doesn't foul my glasses much but I often get an air leak where the mask crosses the bridge of my nose and that blows air into my left eye when I breath out :)
I don't want the mask strapped super tight against my face so the message is SOFTER rubbers make a BETTER seal.
The only way you'll find the best mask to suit you is to try a few. My list would be:
  • Sundstrom e.g. SR100
    The new trend stealth mask
    GVS Elipse
    The newer 3M with the softer rubber

Thanks Sideways. Just sent off for the 3M 7500 as there was nowhere that I could pick it up. I have also ordered a couple of the suits you use. Thanks for that

Neat. Thanks for letting us know what you decided.
I was impressed by the goon suit. "Tyvek 500 xpert", the design was updated a year or two ago. It has amusingly long arms and legs which are great when you have to bend stretch and squat. It's survived far more than a single wear. It's also rather sweaty but I'll forgive it anything because it is so good at keeping the itchies at bay when I've been bear hugging rolls of glass fibre ! Not bad for about £6 each.

Mask and overalls delivered and seem good but have been trying to obtain additional filters, particulate P100. All the suppliers I find are with delivery end of month or later. Anyone know a quick delivery of these 3M P100 (2091) filters please

Alexam":2u9by8d8 said:
Mask and overalls delivered and seem good but have been trying to obtain additional filters, particulate P100. All the suppliers I find are with delivery end of month or later. Anyone know a quick delivery of these 3M P100 (2091) filters please

Those are the American class of filters, you want the P3 filters (European) which are exactly the same specification wise.

I used to do a lot of GRP repair work on boats plus wooden & GRP boatbuilding, when i started on my own in 1984 my Dad & i bought 2 Racal Airstream powered respirators. In those days these were state of the art & there wasnt much other choice. I wore mine for years grinding fibreglass & machining timber. In the end i wore mine out. My Dad didnt like the Airstream finding it too noisy So gave me his one. Its motor finally conked out 3 years ago. I couldnt find a new motor so was faced with buying a more modern one. 3m had taken over Racal and continued in production with the Airstream until a few years back. It was apparent that spares would not be avaiolable much longer.
A post on the mig welding forum found a guy who had three redundant ones used for dry lining. I bought them for £50.
Spent out on several packs of filters & seals & reconditioned them all.
I now have one at work one in my workshop at home & one spare, plus enough filters to keep them going for years.
They might be old but are great pieces of kit & have served me well.

Back