Dust Mask Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had one for 2 years and find it does a great job. It is easily rinsed out and, if I am going to be using a table saw, cutting mdf or doing a lot of sanding, I rinse it in cold water and put it on damp and it seems to catch the dust. If I sand without it I notice a big difference in the nasal department but I generally wear it all the time.

I wondered if it was good enough but then met a retired surgeon who sang it's praises.

I bought one about 3 years ago and never got on with it. It could be because I bought one that was too small, but it never seemed to keep all the dust out no matter how I adjusted it.
I've since replaced it with a Powercap.

Yeah, I should point out that the mask is not as good as a powered respirator but I use it because I have a problem with fusion in my spine and neck and the powered respirators are too heavy for me - well, the ones I've tried are. I would be interested in the Triton air-fed helmet but I can't find any here.

CHJ":16kx24ie said:
Hi Hans, thanks for that link, I've been looking at the Higher Impact version can you fill us in more on the air unit and the filter standards you use please.
Chas

This is the one recommended for turning and the one I have
http://www.greenham.com/c/pl/88059/3M-HT-402-Headtop-with-Polycarbonate-Visor
It use to be known as the Racal Dustmaster and is suitable for sanding, grinding and impact protection. If you want to see or try it give me a call to drop into the workshop.
Regards

Thanks Mark, will take you up on that, will co-ordinate further in the very near future, trying to find something that will eventually replace my old Trend, the new version is just too heavy for my liking and would be a very last resort purchase.

I am so sensitive to some fine dusts that machining/sawing wood without one of any sort is just not feasible. A few seconds inattention a couple of days ago has seen me on anti-histamins for 48hrs.

I have the powercap which seems very light to me, and there is a version with the powerpack on your belt - have you tried that BMac?

Cheers

Toby

@Chas: Mark is spot on.

My workshop is in an attic. There is very little head room. The flip up visor can only be used in part of the workshop, that is why I started with the light weight.
I added the flip up visor later, because getting in and out of the HT-101 every time for close inspection of the work is just too cumbersome.
I use the standard P2 filters, bought in packs of 5.
The motor unit is worn on a belt. As far as I am concerned there is no noise, but that may be the state of my hearing.

You can see them on my website:dustcontrol

Hans

Hans, Mark,
Thank you for this information, this system looks to be suitable because I already wear a face shield so there wouldn't seem to be an big increase in weight.

Toby,
I tried both PowerCaps but the drawback was the positioning of the filters on the front of the cap because that made me want to tilt my head forward more than usual and the issue then is that the fusion that is occurring in my neck could increase the curvature more quickly than it might (ankylosing spondylitis). I have to be very aware of my posture because seemingly minor changes can have a profound effect.

However, this new information is very welcome and will be investigated.

Thanks again guys,

Brendan

I have had the Dust B Gone mask for a bunch of years, and think it does a fine job, but not super. It is hard to find a mask that works with a full beard (shaving is an unnatural act). The positive pressure masks are great for that, but I never liked the weight. I will have a look at the 3M masks. I do have an old CPAP (snoring) machine that I thought I could hook up to mask if I ever found one that I liked.
robo hippy

Thanks Mark, I had a feeling there was a sting in the tail of the lighter weight and cost of the helmet.

Never the less I will be over to sample your setup as soon as I can sort a day to suit you.

The helmet alone seems such an advantage that I will either bite the bullet of the waist pack unit or devise an outside filtered air source, not that impractical in my small shop.

Thank you Mark, I was looking at the site and was wondering which powered unit to buy.

Brendan

Just an update entry for those searching for dust mask info. to point to the outcome (for me) of the comments from Hans and Mark, Thanks Mark for the demo trials of unit.

Dust Masks Revisited

Back