Drum sanders (again) - Performax or Jet???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

It's my birthday this week and my wonderful wife (just in case she appears over my shoulder while I'm reading this :D) has amazingly generously offered to buy me the Jet 16-32 drum sander I have been drooling over for the last couple of months!

Where's the problem with that you may well ask, well, since she told me to go and order it I have been debating whether to go with Axminster whose price is higher than others but you get the after sales service which they are great at, or to go cheaper from a couple of smaller outfits. The difference is about £35 or so so not massive in the grand scheme, but I don't want to spend the cash just because it's not coming out of my wallet.

The second quandary I have given myself now is, I have seen this on ebay, the Performax 22-44!

Now from what I can see this is exactly the same as the equivalent Jet device, and when you google "performax tools" the jet site is the top hit, so I am assuming Jet and Performax are the same beast?

So, assuming the bloke on ebay can convince me that he isn't some kind of scam merchant, and Jet can convince me that I will be covered warranty wise on this machine in the UK, I am sorely tempted by the 22-44!

Realistically I don't need the 22-44, but then I don't really need the 16-32, or most of the tools I have bought myself, so let's take that out of the equation and just assume I want it for the hell of it ;). But with this one being advertised as "new", and only £22 more than the 16-32 is on Axminster, am I missing a trick by not having the 22-44?

So oh wise guild of woodsters, can you guide me in the right direction on which to go for and any thoughts you have.

Oh, and I will post another thread on my new toy I picked up during the week. Woodbloke may want to avoid that thread...

;)

Cheers

Mark

if you'd rather buy from someone you know, promhandicam had a 16-32 for sale the other day (unless hes sold it by now of course)

TrimTheKing":1rpr8b5p said:
Now from what I can see this is exactly the same as the equivalent Jet device, and when you google "performax tools" the jet site is the top hit, so I am assuming Jet and Performax are the same beast?

Hi Mark, yes Jet bought performax some years ago. The Item on e-bay is the US version though - must be an interesting history as to how it ended up over here? (Not in hand luggage that's for sure)

there are quite a few differences to the machine we sell - the CE european version has a different frame to it, as per pics you would have seen, not the open overhead 'gantry style' - main difference though would be motor voltage - 110v in US - I see e-bay seller has mentioned this to their credit, they also seem aware of it not having nvr switch as per extra £100 to have fitted as per description.

TrimTheKing":1rpr8b5p said:
So, assuming the bloke on ebay can convince me that he isn't some kind of scam merchant, and Jet can convince me that I will be covered warranty wise on this machine in the UK

Your warranty may be intact via the US outlet who originally sold it?? if you get receipt from seller and any claims are within warranty period??? :?
I'd say no chance of warranty from Brimarc though, as it's not even the same model of machine we sell.

Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if any other questions

Cheers
Nick
Brimarc Tools and Machinery

Jetman..do you have any comment to make regarding the various posts on forums about the apparent ease with which these open ended machines go out of alignment at the drop of a hat?

I've seen some posts that seemed to suggest a check on alignment was needed before each use.

Jetman..do you have any comment to make regarding the various posts on forums about the apparent ease with which these open ended machines go out of alignment at the drop of a hat?

I've seen some posts that seemed to suggest a check on alignment was needed before each use.

Thanks for the reply Nick, I kind of figured that would be the situation with the warranty, and was going to drop you a shout today, but with that in mind I think I'll steer clear of the ebay one.

I will drop you a PM.

Cheers

Mark

RogerS":2ljbbkwn said:

Hi Roger, i'll need to search out the posts you refer too, Its not a real issue I've ever been aware of though? The adjustment is easily done if it does go out of line, plus despite being open ended they have a very solid frame to them, so going out of line would need a real whack on the top, or ramming in a wedge shaped piece of timber trying to take off too much in one go i'd reckon.

I can honestly say I've only ever had positive feedback at shows from people who have bought one, and they all been very pleased with the accurate results the machines give.

you sure it was the jet/performax ones on the posts you mentioned? There have been a few other brands around over the years.

Best regards
Nick

ps - Mark, thanks for pm - have replied.

Hi Nick

There's a negative user review on the Axminster site. The other comment that was made to me was made by a fellow forum member - who's views I respect. The others I'll try and track down if that helps.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible that the comments refer to the generic design as opposed to those where the drum is supported at both ends.

Back