Drum sander project started.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that sploo. Having never actually seen a real drum sander "in the flesh", that's a useful comment. As ever when looking at stuff on the net, one has to do a bit of "filtering" of the info provided, and I can't remember off hand if people who I do think seem to know there onions use "underlay" or not. I think Matthias Wandell and Marius Hornberger do not use underlay, but I seem to remember that at least Stumpy Nubs does (mind you I also seem to remember he went for a powered through feed system as well)!

As I haven't even started on a drum sander yet (and won't be buying one) it'll be interesting to sit back a while longer and see how lons gets on without.

Again lons, thanks for a very useful thread.

AES

Change of plans today so spent a few hours in the workshop and I've actually finished it - I'm amazed 'cos I rarely finish anything. :roll:
Anyway have tried it and happy with the results though possibly make a couple of minor modifications at some stage but the main thing is that it works ! \:D/

Will post later as am about to go out soon.

Bob

Well done, it's great to hear that it is finished. :)
But before you use it too much, please show me how you fix the sandpaper. I just cannot get my head around that bit.
xy

OK here it is finished though it needs a few weeks testing to make sure it works longer term. My method of holding the abrasive is simple, just worked out angle the abrasive would sit around the drum, cut a slot with a multitool and inserted the abrasive, shoved in a thin plastic insert and secured with a small screw., tightened the abrasive around the drum and repeated at the other end, then trimmed off the excess abrasive with a Stanley knife.
What I did find was that it stretched very slightly so needed to tighten and refit one end. The drum remained balanced btw.

It works but not entirely happy so I'm thinking of forming a shallow flat recess instead so I can just lay the end into it and secure with either a flat metal plate or cup washer / screw which would be easier to adjust. These would of course be below drum surface.

I used 60g x 115mm wide cloth backed abrasive off ebay as it was much cheaper than 75mm wide which I think would be easier to wind on, my original idea being to cut it down to 75mm but seems ok as is.

I ran a few bits of timber through including s/w, rosewood and ash. All came out flat but would need finer paper to finish. Pics taken on iphone so a bit rubbish.

Conclusion:
Did I enjoy making it?................ yes, definitely.
Did it take long?........................ yes though didn't keep count of hours.
Did it cost much?....................... not in my case as all I bought were 2 pulleys, a V belt and 5m of abrasive so under £30 without labour.
Is it as good as a Jet?................no, but saved £750

However, if you don't have time to spare and cost your time at say £15 an hour plus need to buy all the materials then bite the bullet and buy one. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 780
Great Bob, thanks for the abrasive fixing information. I pleased you enjoyed making it, and the sense of saving cash adds to the enjoyment. Tremendous.
What's next then?
xy

xy mosian":17f1c4gk said:
What's next then? xy

I need to start actually making something :lol: :lol: Got half a dozen nearly finished jigsaws for my granddaughter just sitting on the bench.

Got 5 weeks away in Canada and Alaska in a few months time and loads of work to do at home before then. This retirement lark is hard work. :wink:

A full time future eh?.
It looks as if you really are planned well. I only asked in jest really. My head seems to buzz with things I would like to do but never quite get around to.

xy

xy mosian":gkwr6uh6 said:
A full time future eh?.
It looks as if you really are planned well. I only asked in jest really. My head seems to buzz with things I would like to do but never quite get around to.

xy
I know the feeling, it's what keeps me awake at night!

I have so many unfinished projects, a big box of carvings in various stages of completion, half finished marquetry pic of the kids when little, started that one 28 years ago :oops: a couple of very nice stick shafts that have been "seasoning" for 15 years and the rams horn to go with them, an electric go cart out of a old golf trolley which I've promised my granddaughter will be ready this summer.
Plus a huge list of one day maybe.

Bob

Great looking end result!

BTW Susie Gardner has a good video series on a sander she made - with some useful info on cutting blocks to hold the paper. She also mentioned that the sandpaper stretches after first use, which is why I assume some of the commercial machines have spring loaded hooks that will automatically take up the slack. Not easy to DIY that though.

Back