Drilling jig advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent drilling jig, mostly to drill straight 90 degree holes into board and timber stock.

I know there are plenty out there but wanted to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent tool that they have used.

Cost is not an issue, I'd rather have the right tool the first time around. I've learnt like most of us here that buying cheap often means buying twice (although I admit not always).

I need something that will reference from a side and drill a prefect 90 degrees with some options on drill size.

Any advice welcome.

Zeddedhed":7u233l57 said:

I have one of those, bought from Axminster a few years ago. The plunge action is terrible, if there's a better quality one available anywhere I'd love to know, unfortunately I don't think there's any competition, seems to be that one or nothing.

pcb1962":2h0gl8u3 said:
Zeddedhed":2h0gl8u3 said:

I have one of those, bought from Axminster a few years ago. The plunge action is terrible, if there's a better quality one available anywhere I'd love to know, unfortunately I don't think there's any competition, seems to be that one or nothing.
Plunge action can be terrible, but I've got round it...

1. Wax columns for less friction
2. Plunge down with hand in line with drill bit (the rear of motor housing), not off to side as it would be if one was holding the handle.

View attachment 2015

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431955528228.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431955528228.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,312
I think you might be on a fruitless search.

What is the potential market for such an aid? My guess is that it's only relative beginners, struggling with the basics, who won't want to spend much more than the price of the simple, cheap devices already linked to. I can't see a market for a superior version.

In a better equipped workshop, the problem is solved by use of a drill press. If big holes are needed with absolute accuracy, a plunging router with a wide stable base and the right sort of bit can be used. (But I'm struggling to think of an application that needs this, in normal furniture making.)

For many ordinary hole drilling tasks, such as bolt holes for bed components, the sort of accuracy achievable by eye, maybe with a square alongside, is good enough. For holes in a bench top, a simple notch in a thick bit of wood is all you need.
For dowelling, there are specific jigs to work with a small range of sizes, though you might need to look at second hand kit for these.

What are you making?

Thanks for all the advice people. I've used designs similar to those pictured and suggested - not sure if I had a duff batch but they were too hit and miss for me.

AndyT I have a big drill press (two of them) and my shop is equipped to the hilt. However I want to drill holes in situations where I can't get the piece on a drill press table. They are also about 200mm deep so router is out.

I'm drilling the legs on my wife's ceramicists workbench and they need to be very accurate. I suspect a doweling jig may be the way to go on this one.

If you have a drill press, I would try gluing up a really thick block of birch ply. Drill your required drill hole through on the press, then use it as a guide.

If you are drilling 200mm into timber, accuracy will depend much on the drill bit's ability to drill deep without drifting. Even holes on a press can drift in timber.

Echoing RobinBHm, above, I would think with some jigs the timber may move under the base at the point of first cut.
Would suitable bits in a router be a possibility?
xy

Thanks again everyone, I'll have a go with the portable drill guide posted by woodpig. I tried using a block with a main hole to guide but it was a losing battle maintaining accuracy and depth at the same time.

I wondered if there was a no-brainer product on the market that I hadn't heard off, hence the original question. Will report back if I find a better solution.

Thanks again.

well, part of my reason for posting was in the hope that somebody may post "I am a xyz and I use one of these every day. I really need the £££ for my application, because the cheap one wouldnt do". Then we would all know!

marcros":2w6b0kfs said:
the drill stand must have some users beyod the beginner, simply because of the price and quality of these versions

https://www.fine-tools.com/bohrstaender.html

I have a drill press and I have a piece that is too large to fit under it, yet I want a good clean 90 degree hole in the piece, so i am looking at drill press supports too. I'm actually leaning towards making my own using the plunge legs from a router

Doesn't matter which way I swing the workpiece or how I arrange it, the hole is too far in on the piece to be reached by the drill press, the pilar gets in the way. My drill press is on a mobile stand so I could roll it over to the vise but it wouldn't do me any good.

Back