Drill repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boywonder

Established Member
Reaction score
I Have a wolf saphire 75 Drill made in 1972 and was my dads.It still works ok but the brushes have worn and need replaceing :( .Does anyone know where i can get some or somwhere that sevices drills.I have tryed the current wolf company in the midlands but they can not help.Its a very good Drill and i dont want to throw it away.Boywonder

Hi,

Any brushes that fit, or can be made to fit will work. My brother in law ran a Kawasaki ZXR750H2 for a few years after I filled down some metabo drill brushes to fit his alternator. take to a shop that sells brushes and see if there is anything close.

Pete

If you know of any where local to leicester/notts then let me know as i carnt find any.My dad went to someone in the nottingham area years a go to have a communicator repaired on another drill but can not remember who it was .wolf are of no help as ive been to see them

Just wondering whether I can squeeze a related enquiery in here. I need to get my cordless 18v Hitachi serviced (brushes I think). Can anyone recommend somewhere in London? Is it a DIY job?

roman

Is there a maplin near you? They should stock 'em.

I recently changed the brushes on a mitre saw that was sparking, first time I had done it ; filed down a couple of carbon brushes from some other tool (given to me by a friend), and fitted them myself. No problem, and if I can do it so can you. I am sure with a little confidence and care you can do this no problem yourselves.

Good luck guys.

Thank you. I often pass a Maplin and will (tentatively) give it a go.

Roman

I have a Wolf Saphire from the 70's and it is still fantastic drill, being just about bomb-proof, mine could do with a new chuck now but everything else is great, in fact it's now my main corded drill in the shop as I've relegated the B&D back to the DIY box :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":2oge7mf9 said:
I have a Wolf Saphire from the 70's and it is still fantastic drill, being just about bomb-proof, mine could do with a new chuck now but everything else is great, in fact it's now my main corded drill in the shop as I've relegated the B&D back to the DIY box :lol: - Rob

You have a DIY box too Rob! Mine's full of the half-decent tools, I don't use for the woodwork!

I'm still using my Stanley-Bridges drill from late 60's maybe. Not sure exactly. It could do with a new cord, as that got shorter over the years due to plug changes! The drill doesn't fit in a drill stand anymore, as I converted my Arcoy Stand to take the newer 43mm collars. (Bad move)

The drill is a great spare, for when the cordless drill's battery dies! Still sounds better than my Bosch's and the balance (A fault with Bosch, I find) is right on. :)
John

I remember the Stanley-Bridges drills as well, good kit iIrc. At the time it was a toss up between one of the SB drills or the Wolf Saphire but I liked the smart blue case that came with the Wolf! I think that the Saphire was so over-engineered that it's just about unbreakable...I once lent my Saphire to a so-called mate :wink: to drill a 25mm hole through his house wall (no hammer on my drill)...he was a bit glum :cry: when his bit went 'kaput' and my drill was still running :lol: and that was 25 years ago - Rob

You could get a hand grip that went onto the sapphire at the time i could do with one if anyones got one :wink: :wink:

Back