Drawer centre runner advice for newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glynster

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be building my first drawers and want to create simple yet effective centre drawer runners - I find the bulky metal side brackets too "IKEA" and ugly and yet I dont like how side drawer runners stick. Can people offer advice on the pros and cons of centre runners and if they are the kind of thing I would be best making and how - or - buying and where? I assume that these can only be used on relatively narrow drawers? Not on a 24" wide centre desk drawer for example?

I wouldve thought a concealed runner would be the answer.

I always make the drawer box 1mm wider so it doesnt bind on the runner.

Ive never used a centre runner.

Far as I know, side drawer runners stick because the drawer itself becomes angled one way or the other in the housing as it's moved if there is too much play between the housing and the drawer, and to be honest a centre runner would not stop this if the person pulling / pushing the drawer did not exert exact force to equal places on the drawer front with the same amount of excess play in the housing.

The only real way to prevent this is accurate joinery, or metal guides of some sort, which to be honest considering how cheap full extension / soft close runners can be (ironmongery direct I think) why would you not use them if aethetics allowed?

Back