dove tails cut with a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to have a go at make a few dove tails with the bandsaw and i am sure i seen a printable template on,, you tube some where but i can find it so can i ask if any body knows where i can find it or any other video with templates please thank,s in anticipation Mock

Hi Mock
I'll probably get my knuckles rapped for this, but it is a direct and relevant answer to your question.
I do show how to do this on Workshop Essentials 5, Advanced Bandsaw Jigs and Techniques. I use two jigs, one for the pins and one for the tails, any angle you like, any spacing you like, AND THEY FIT PERFECTLY, Right First Time Every Time. They look like hand-cut, but are much faster for small batch production (unless you are Rob Cosman, but he practises often, which is cheating).
The DVD isn't free though, I do have to eat.

Cutting tails on a bandsaw makes a lot of sense, but I've got mixed views about cutting pins on a bandsaw.

It's possible with a bit of faff to cut through dovetail pins with a bandsaw, but most of my dovetails are lap or half blind dovetails, so you can't cut the pins for these on a bandsaw. Consequently I'd rather cut all my pins by hand, so it keeps my eye in and my speed up for the half blind pins that are the majority of my output. Furthermore, if I'm using dovetails for carcass or box work then I'll probably use mitred through dovetails for a neater finish, which is another reason to keep your hand work up to snuff as once again you'll have to cut the mitred corners by hand so you might as well take the opportunity to keep your hand skills polished and ready to go.

Just my thoughts.

The reference by galleywood is to my website perfectdovetails.co.uk, which is free (but there is no video as yet). The bandsaw is great for cutting through dovetails and the perfectdovetails method allows you to cut matching pins and tails quickly and accurately. Lap or half-blind dovetails either require some hand work or a router for the pins; with my method, you cut the pins as a template which you can then use on a router table. As far as I am aware, the method is new and unique (happy to be corrected) and I have only recently uploaded the details to the web for others to use.

mock":100aku3n said:
Thank;s guy,s and now for a quick question i have found a couple of jigs to help with the cutting of the dovetails with the bandsaw but why are the jigs at a angle as in the link below :oops: :oops:
link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauPLATMPok
The jigs are at an angle to cut the pins. If you have a tilting table which tilts in both directions, this is unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back