Double kite winder stair for the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berncarpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop is an ongoing project started it back in 06 . Basically its a double storey garage adjoining the house and for the last few years i have used an ali ladder to get to my hand tool shop .

DSC_0093_zpszd7krlan.jpg

After building a couple of stairs for a customer and having some material left over i thought it was a good time to treat myself .

DSC_0114_zps8tzglzfx.jpg

Slopping 45 degree rafters and a set of french doors meant i couldn't build a straight run.Spent a fair bit of time on a well known stair makers website trying out different cad designs until i came up with something i thought would work ok for me and also comply with biulding regs .

DSC_0095_zpsbfpehh4r.jpg

Jointing the strings to accept the winder treads

DSC_0128_zpsrmuyb2es.jpg

Good old Elu 177e to rout out

DSC_0157_zpsnnvxoqzt.jpg

Joined up the winder treads with dominos

DSC_0167_zpsfphobw9a.jpg

The motor in my Wadkin crosscut has blown so Mafel came to the rescue to cut the notches in the newels

DSC_0169_zps9cxyv1z1.jpg

Cleaned up with an old 2'' Maples chisel.

To be continued

Cheers Bern :D

Just out of interest, are you using a straight cutter for trenching out your strings? If you are can I ask the reason behind it?
Thanks, Neil.

Here we go with part 2 ,
Thanks for your comments katellwood,miseries,Racers,Graham,Blackrod . Sorry for the spelling mistake Phil.p not one of my strong points.
lincs1963":2s3bieqf said:
Just out of interest, are you using a straight cutter for trenching out your strings? If you are can I ask the reason behind it?
Thanks, Neil.
lincs1963":2s3bieqf said:
Thanks, Neil.

Hi Neil
Yes i use a bearing guided straight bit . The reason - its what my old man always used and works fine for me . I know you can get a tapered bit for this but have never used one. Is this what you use ?

Made some 1/2'' oak dowel for the draw boring of tenons using the great Veritas jig
DSC_0186_zpsawyy9ecf.jpg

After jointing the string to the newel i propped the outside strings into position. Volvo car jack came in handy here
DSC_0194_zps42cz49pr.jpg

Top tread landed bang on the joist . Floor boards are 40mm thick so the top tread needed a packing piece .
DSC_0195_zps2q2lluaj.jpg

Put this top tread in first as there is no way i will get it in later
DSC_0201_zpsfxxdidlz.jpg

Pocket hole screws in the next tread down and screwed this in before the opposite string is lifted into place
DSC_0202_zpsc1xjyffm.jpg

This part was a bit tricky on my own , corner tread newels and string lifted in.
DSC_0206_zpsstdr7fbv.jpg

Carrying on down making sure to put the treads in that can't be slid in after the strings are in place.
DSC_0213_zps6mim8mfy.jpg

Slide the treads in dry and clamped up keeping an eye on the newels and making sure they are plumb.
DSC_0222_zpsqfgbvuh8.jpg

DSC_0236_zpsnkuvwdzl.jpg

More tomorrow if you can take it

Mcluma":9ish77lh said:
I like the modification to the mafell saw

My height adjuster broke this weekend after 15 years

It had worn out

My Mafel saw is one of the best purchases I've made and the height adjuster lever is the only thing thats broken on it . Replaced the plastic one with a piece of maple from a kitchen cabinet handle and a nut and bolt. The sustainer box hasn't done very well , the plastic has become very britle and is self destructing . Its a shame you don't get the metal tool boxes anymore my Elu and Aeg tool boxes are still ok after 25 years .

Ok heres the last couple of photos , not quite finished hand rails and spindles left.

DSC_0241_zpswgfstaoh.jpg

DSC_0243_zpsy6vknkuj.jpg

DSC_0245_zpsb4ajyrp2.jpg

Sorry I've been slow to reply to posts but have been working from 8 am till 10.30 pm trying to catch up with overdue jobs.

If there's anyone in South Wales who needs someone to take on a fiddly staircase job and they were unsure who to ask... I think they know now! :)

Graham Orm":2naubvpd said:
A grand job, and not a piece of MDF to be seen!

Thanks Graham
Not that keen on MDF it makes my skin crawl . Maybe i am allergic to it . Now that the stairs are done I've made a start on the mini bench .

Paul Chapman":2naubvpd said:
Excellent. You have a better staircase in your garage than many people have in their house :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul
The garage may be converted into living space in the future so building work is house speck.
Baldhead":2naubvpd said:
Paul Chapman":2naubvpd said:
Excellent. You have a better staircase in your garage than many people have in their house :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul
And it fits perfectly!!!

Stew

Thanks Stew

AndyT":2naubvpd said:
If there's anyone in South Wales who needs someone to take on a fiddly staircase job and they were unsure who to ask... I think they know now! :)

Thanks Andy
Always happy to help out but I'm no staircase expert , this is my fifth stair build.

Nice looking job, you should be pleased with that.
In reference to my earlier post, trenching is usually dovetailed. This is so that the parts 'bite' together when the wedges are knocked home.
I have another question, in your pictures there are no gluts fitted, is this because you haven't finished or are you not bothering with them?
Anyway, nice job mate.

lincs1963":ugjmniae said:
Nice looking job, you should be pleased with that.
In reference to my earlier post, trenching is usually dovetailed. This is so that the parts 'bite' together when the wedges are knocked home.
I have another question, in your pictures there are no gluts fitted, is this because you haven't finished or are you not bothering with them?
Anyway, nice job mate.

Thanks Lincs1963
I will give the dovetailed cutter a try on my next stair build , got one coming up soon. The gluts ? if these are the triangular glue blocks under the treads they are fitted now. Thanks again for the helpful comments Cheers Bern.

Very tidy indeed. I'm sure the visits up to the hand tool 'shop will be extra pleasurable from now on.

Terry.

Latest posts

Back