Double Bass 'Decoration' Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
3/4 size double bass (The most popular size used by double bassists) for either a complete restoration for playability or for a decoration project--for eg: painted /wine rack / shelves etc.--could be a talking point. It has been badly restored in the past (Not by me I might add!) . Has been stripped down to the bare wood. £275. Collection only from Morpeth area, Northumberland. PM me if you require more photos.

Attachments

• P1040728.JPG
    P1040728.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • P1040726.JPG
    P1040726.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1040723.JPG
    P1040723.JPG
  • P1040717.JPG
    P1040717.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P1040725.JPG
    P1040725.JPG
  • P1040717.JPG
    P1040717.JPG
  • P1040713.JPG
    P1040713.JPG
  • P1040709.JPG
    P1040709.JPG
    989.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1040702.JPG
    P1040702.JPG
    812.1 KB · Views: 0
3/4 size double bass (The most popular size used by double bassists)
??? A 3/4 size Double Bass would be a Cello -- but it would depend upon how the strings were tuned.

A Cello is tuned in fifths (C2, G2,D3 & A3) but a D/Bass is tuned in fourths (E1, A1, D2 & G2). The other big difference is the 'spike' - on a Cello this is adjustable, on a D/Bass it is fixed.

A 3/4 bass is a real thing - most you'll see are that size, I think 4/4s tend to live only in orchestras. This is comfortably twice the bulk of a cello.

For that money I'd take it off your hands if I were closer, and restore it - I only have an electric upright bass!

Any idea what a courier might charge?

I'll have to admit that I've only handled a Cello (restoration project - not playing!!) once and am used to D/Basses in orchestras - even the 5 string version!

Many thanks for your replies. To answer questions regarding my double bass:

Member: J-G. The difference between a cello and a double bass: Size. The cello is shorter than a double bass--different tuning. Different sound. The 3/4 size bass is the most common you will see in bands. 3/4 size bass's slightly vary in length and the top and bottom bout. Mine is 6ft from top of scroll to bottom of the bass--minus the end pin. The 'spike' you mention is more commonly known as the 'end pin'--can be fixed or adjustable in length. If you see an orchestra the double bass are the 'big things' behind the cello's.

Member: profchris. You mention 'courier'. I would not trust a courier with a double bass! Too fragile.--and the cost!
(To digress: A good friend of mine who runs a band--with a double bass player. They had a gig abroad and the bass arrived damaged. Not a 'Happy Bunny'! Sorry collection only.

I was thinking further and came to the same conclusion - plus I'd really need to see it to assess if I could repair it. I suspect the decorative route is the answer, good luck!

The bass is in a 'sad' state. When I bought it--many years ago--it was a playable bass. I took off all the hardware, striped the varnish off down to the bare wood with the view of restoring it--never got round to doing that. It would have taken a lot of work to do that. The back needs to be taken off to get inside for repairs. As mentioned in my original post it had been restored in the past--by someone who had little or no idea of what he was doing. I would go the 'decorative' route.
Just to add I play double bass and electric upright bass. No electric upright bass sounds like a double bass--different animals.
A quality double bass can cost many thousands of £'s. As I need the space I would be open to offers, but the bass must be collected. PM me if interested,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back