Don't laugh...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
...but are hand-stitched rasps meant to be used on a pull or push stroke? I have recently bought one and it wasn't as smooth as I thought, but I just tried pulling it with much better results. I feel stupid asking, so be gentle :oops:

They're designed to be used on the push. With a fairly heavy hand, you can shift a lot of wood very fast, but the cut never really feels 'smooth'. Used with a lighter touch, and a slightly skewed stroke, a far better finish can be obtained.

That said, however, use whatever technique works for you with a particular tool. I've not tried using them 'on the pull', but I suppose it's a bit like draw-filing metal - not strictly 'right', but it works. Hmmm, draw-rasping.....

Cheers CC. I thought I 'knew' it should be a push stroke, but then the pull stroke seems easier and a cleaner cut. I've just shaped a handle in beech and it seemed to make a big difference on certain parts, sometimes a push stroke feeling easier. Clearly this is something I just need to play around with. As long as I'm not going to damage the tool...

Thanks.

Noggsy if you have never used a rasp how are you supposed to know if you have never used one.Rasps cut on the forward thrust just like a file, you say you where making a Handel so I`ll take it that it was a half round. Half round and rat tails are meant to be twisted as you drive them forward, three forward strokes with a roll to the right and you will see the rills start to appear in the wood then switch it to the left and they just disappear. Then you come at it with the riffles and the fine files and then then the scraper and then finely the sand paper.I use a rasp some times in unison with a spoke shave or other tools. Just pick up a off cut stick it in the vice and then tear into it you will see how a rasp works.

Thanks CC, I'll look.

Billy, a cabinet makers half round. Thanks for the clear instructions, I'll try that tomorrow.

I have just bought some rasps from Dictum, and used one in anger for the first time last night to flatten and fit a large joint on a lathe bench. Very impressed and also gives a good glue surface.

I have a few hand stitched rasps and migrated to the very fine graded ones (15) - they still cut very fast and leave an excellent finish.

Rod

Back