Doll house room

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished workshop wins by a mile !!!! Some of the detail you put into it is simply mind blowing - the lathe really is fantastic :cool: you win the real competition.They probably gave first to the plant pot held together with rope out of sympathy :lol:

dc_ni":2j8x2mr7 said:
Melinda_dd":2j8x2mr7 said:
I had hoped for a first as well :( but sadly not

I do feel cheated out of my post card with FIRST on in. I could accept it if it was worthy entry That beat me but I don't feel it was.........
So much so that I have emailed the judges rep and asked them to explain their decision.
Probably won't get a reply but I feel better for venting!!

Thanks for your comments. ..... and everyone's comments. ... makes it all worth while :D

You should have sent them a link to your thread then they could see what work went into it, could also see our low opinion of the result and of the judges :lol:

Now there's an idea. .. if I ever get a reply I may do that! !

ColeyS1":1q9bvcz5 said:
Finished workshop wins by a mile !!!! Some of the detail you put into it is simply mind blowing - the lathe really is fantastic :cool: you win the real competition.They probably gave first to the plant pot held together with rope out of sympathy :lol:

Thanks very much. ..

It's kind of sad really that the plant pots were placed anywhere because there were lots of much better entries than them

Melinda,

Sorry about the out come, I am with the others, a fantastic job. The flower pot things look like they would give you nightmares, and terrorize little children. Shame on the "judges"?. Jamey

Melinda_dd":1wsbqyx4 said:
heimlaga":1wsbqyx4 said:
Looks good!

I will show this thread to my mom. She is a doll house enhusiast.

Thank you... let me know what she thinks of my room

I asked my mother to judge your room with the critical eyes of a competition judge. This is a condensed version what she said:

Your room is a very interresting idea and pretty well carried out. It suffers from the slight clumsiness in details that is typical when someone who is good at making full scale woodwork first turns her hands to miniatures. Despite this evidence of a learning curve the overall impression is good. It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought into it.

Her first comment about the flower pot dolls that won the competiton would translate into Engish as OH DEAR......shaking her head she started telling stries about a other competitions where the same thing has happened. The jury has liked stuff they would have been able to make themself while those participants who are more skilled than the jury don't get the appreciation they deserve. She said this is a very common occurance so she does not take part in competitions any more.

heimlaga":2kso6102 said:
Melinda_dd":2kso6102 said:
heimlaga":2kso6102 said:
Looks good!

I will show this thread to my mom. She is a doll house enhusiast.

Thank you... let me know what she thinks of my room

I asked my mother to judge your room with the critical eyes of a competition judge. This is a condensed version what she said:

Your room is a very interresting idea and pretty well carried out. It suffers from the slight clumsiness in details that is typical when someone who is good at making full scale woodwork first turns her hands to miniatures. Despite this evidence of a learning curve the overall impression is good. It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought into it.

Her first comment about the flower pot dolls that won the competiton would translate into Engish as OH DEAR......shaking her head she started telling stries about a other competitions where the same thing has happened. The jury has liked stuff they would have been able to make themself while those participants who are more skilled than the jury don't get the appreciation they deserve. She said this is a very common occurance so she does not take part in competitions any more.

Please thank your mother for taking the time to look at the pictures of my room, and her feedback.... also to yourself for reading, posting and showing your mother. Many thanks

I love the workshop look, the flower pot men were ok but not first place.
if you had pictures with it of the build you did then maybe they would have understood.
I think they thought it was so good that you either bought it made like that or you bought the individual pieces and just stick them in rather than make the whole thing which you had.
so I think they just did not understand that you made the whole thing.
You could buy the flower pot people like that from anywhere, I saw some selling at minehead craft and food festival, they had different labels but they looked the same.
So many people are making craft items nowadays that my old stick man I made out of branches as a little child would now be considered as if it had just been blown in from outside the judging tent.
At least everyone on here thinks it's first class and we know better than any judge.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I did put a write up with the room explaining everything was built from scratch. How long it took and when it was finished.

There was also a tinas workshop sign added last minute that was made from a mulberry tree that was moved.... I even gave the YouTube link to watch the video of the move!

Now there was a similar case to this in a dollhouse competition here in Finland.

A winner was picked among dollhouse scale miniature beds.
The winning submission looked like a 7 year old had made it in school. It does not even look like a bed and the quality of the woodwork is terrible. Just some glued together sticks carelessly spray painted. The second prize winner was an equally bad one made from metal wire.

The third prize winner was an absolutely perfect 1/12 scale replica of a traditional built in bed of the type that was only made for local use in the village of Björkö from about 1860 and 50 years onwards. The miniature is correct down to the last detail except the exact profile of one particular moulding. Both woodwork and decorative painting is so accurately made to scale that I can attribute the painting of the original to either of two 19th century craftsmen who worked in a very similar manner. I could probably attribute the original woodwork as well if I did a little bit of research. There are miniature pillows and bedsheets and all which are very well made.

You aren't alone................

Melinda dd.
I've just found this thread and remember the diarama when you first started and up to the handsaw stage.
What a corker!
I must say that I thought the flowerpot men were very good, well thought out and finished.
But, The amount of work, skill and ingenuity, that has gone into your workshop does you credit, If I may say so.
For me, The workshop is telling a story of days gone by, when this could have been anywhere up and down the country. Attention to detail is excellent and very well thought out with such a lot going on.
I, personally think you should have beaten Bill AND Ben, easily.
In fact you probably should have won next year as well!
This would do very well, on display for primary school kids used as part of local history, (In grandad's day)!
Thank you very much for the WIP Very entertaining! Regards Rodders

I have been looking in on occasions and would like to thank you for a interesting thread and a great build. Your attention to detail is fantastic not an easy task considering the problems with wood grain and finding pieces that can be used for 1/12th scale. Well done on getting a placement in the competition, as others have said I personally think it is a first place piece. Maybe the judge loved Bill and Ben when they were younger.

That is absolutely incredible work! I am stunned by the attention to detail in the shop. (Even the shavings under the lathe) :eek: As for Bill and Ben all I can say is 'Flobalob' roughly translated, Robbed a lot, Anyone can string together a few plant pots and stick a dolls head on them. Not many people have the patience and intricate skills to produce work of art you have. Well done, it should have won by far. :D

blackrodd":3e0zc8t9 said:
Melinda dd.
I've just found this thread and remember the diarama when you first started and up to the handsaw stage.
What a corker!
I must say that I thought the flowerpot men were very good, well thought out and finished.
But, The amount of work, skill and ingenuity, that has gone into your workshop does you credit, If I may say so.
For me, The workshop is telling a story of days gone by, when this could have been anywhere up and down the country. Attention to detail is excellent and very well thought out with such a lot going on.
I, personally think you should have beaten Bill AND Ben, easily.
In fact you probably should have won next year as well!
This would do very well, on display for primary school kids used as part of local history, (In grandad's day)!
Thank you very much for the WIP Very entertaining! Regards Rodders

Thanks for your comments. I was gutted but gradually got over it.... after many e mails to the judges!

I'm now working on the idea for next years!

Dalboy":38x4nve8 said:
I have been looking in on occasions and would like to thank you for a interesting thread and a great build. Your attention to detail is fantastic not an easy task considering the problems with wood grain and finding pieces that can be used for 1/12th scale. Well done on getting a placement in the competition, as others have said I personally think it is a first place piece. Maybe the judge loved Bill and Ben when they were younger.

Or the judge was related to the entrant!!!
Thanks for your comment. It was hard at times to get the look I wanted but I'm fairly happy with it.

The only bit I'm not keen on us the saw cut on the wood on the saw horses as its too thick

mailee":2dpmo0pz said:
That is absolutely incredible work! I am stunned by the attention to detail in the shop. (Even the shavings under the lathe) :eek: As for Bill and Ben all I can say is 'Flobalob' roughly translated, Robbed a lot, Anyone can string together a few plant pots and stick a dolls head on them. Not many people have the patience and intricate skills to produce work of art you have. Well done, it should have won by far. :D

Thanks mailee... coming from someone as skilled as yourself that means a lot
The feel the same as you about bill and ben.
In next years room I'm thinking of some how incorporating a miniature version of them.... maybe dropped on the floor smashed! !!

Melinda_dd":3i4b74wz said:
Dalboy":3i4b74wz said:

Or the judge was related to the entrant!!!
Thanks for your comment. It was hard at times to get the look I wanted but I'm fairly happy with it.

The only bit I'm not keen on us the saw cut on the wood on the saw horses as its too thick

What saw did you use to produce the cut. For all my miniature work either dolls house or wooden models I use a modellers razor saw which has a thin blade

Back