Do special paint pens exist???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliGav

Established Member
Reaction score
Im carving out signs and want an easy way to colour the letters in. Can anyone recommend which would be the best type e.g.. sharpie or is there a special pen for the job?

for pens, i would have a look at post pens which are paint. try one before investing in loads, on scrap though. I have used these before for things, and it is just like using a marker pen, but the output is paint, and has a good depth of colour as a result.

i personally would use a tin of paint, and a decent small brush, but each to their own.

Be a bit careful and as Marcros says try on scrap first.

Markers, stain and very thin paint can bleed into the surrounding area and will spoil the job.

marcros":byj39902 said:
i personally would use a tin of paint, and a decent small brush, but each to their own.

Or just overpaint the whole thing and sand the paint off the flat surface, leaving only the bits in the carved recesses behind.

There are several brands of paint marker available, and some dispense different kinds of paint. I've used them a fair bit for non-woodworking projects, and for painting on wood for a durable result I would personally recommend Pentel paint markers, at least for typically-opaque colours like black or white. Pilot are OK as well, and do an excellent gold or silver. The worst choice IMO would be Uni Posca, which in my experience are thinner and leave a kind of chalky finish which isn't nearly as durable as the above. I've found the Pentel ones in a local stationers, you can also find them on Internet stationery sites.

Regular permanent markers (Sharpies et al) bleed like anything, so avoid those. Crappy paint markers bleed a little, but really not noticeably unless you're painting on a seriously open-grained wood. But buy a decent marker in a generally opaque colour (generally reds and yellows have trouble with opacity, and sometimes greens; whites, blacks and nearly all blues are good) and shake it properly to mix the paint into the carrier properly, and I've never personally had a problem with bleed.

Lons":100xjly0 said:
Be a bit careful and as Marcros says try on scrap first.

Markers, stain and very thin paint can bleed into the surrounding area and will spoil the job.

use sanding sealer first to stop this.

does anyone have any links to websites that sell them or companies? I've been using sanding sealer before using sharpies to colour in but nibs soon get damaged and had some small bleeding.

Latest posts

Back