Do oilstones need soaking in oil before use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimp

Reaction score
I bought a Stanley sharpening kit but when I add lapping fluid on the course side of the oilstone the fluid just soaks in to the stone. So should I soak it in baby oil.

Even my "pre-soaked" India seemed hungry. A little bath might help things.

The coarse side of my India is always hungry, even after three decades of use. A soak may help, but the problem is that it'll leak out again after use and when the stone is in storage; I tend to just keep feeding it until it's had enough. A good wipe down on finishing followed by wrapping in clingfilm or a poly bag is not a bad idea, otherwise everthing in the vicinity becomes contaminated with oil. If you make or buy a wooden box for it, seal the box thoroughly with polyurethane varnish, shellac or similar both inside and out to make it oil-proof before putting the stone in it, or it'll soak up the oil and contaminate everything in sight.

The fine side generally needs a good dollop for the first use of a sharpening session, and rather less 'topping up' after that.

Back