do NOT try this at home

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"No matter how hard you try, this table saw can't hurt you"

I refute that statement, what if you drop it on your foot?

This has been for sale since 2004 btw. :-D

And it won't just cost you the $60 bit of kit. The blade, motor, and maybe the spindle and any securing fixings may also be knackered. But yes, clever bit of kit.

/I can only count to 9 from a table saw spaz moment.

I did notice how the whole blade jumped around so yes would save a finger but cost a saw, and maybe shatter a blade that would come flying out.

I think that the saw stop is a good idea and it is a shame it is not for sale in the UK, however one of the main dangers from a table saw is kick back. Someone I know personally was impaled in the chest last year and literally came close to death from a piece shattering on a large table saw. I have heard stories of off cuts removing fingers, so whilst the saw stop technology is good it is a bit irresponsible for them (or the program makers) to suggest that the saw cannot hurt you.
Paddy

You can turn the saw stop off and use it like a normal table saw, and presumably forget to turn it back on.

+1 for the kick back danger post.

Pete

It's a deeply stupid and dangerous idea:
1 All the demos they are doing are dangerous because the stupid sods aren't using two push sticks or a crown guard.
2 If they keep using dangerous methods OK this device might save a finger once - but then cost a bomb to replace the kit
3 If they keep using dangerous methods then they'll will get caught out by a saw which either, doesn't have this device, or has it switched off, or has it but faulty.

Not sure about the kickback stories - I've never experienced it except once; trimming a bevel on a board and the off-cut getting slung out. Once bitten - never done it again!
Crown guard is good for stopping kickback - it keeps the workpiece down so it can't be lifted and flung from the outer perimeter of the blade. But I think it's a problem for bigger saws perhaps.

Two push sticks all the time - for other machines too, spindle etc.

It might seem a crazy idea; how about using safety devices such as a blade guard and riving knife, as legally required in a commercial workshop.

Working with an unguarded completely open blade spinning at thousands of rpm, as shown in endless Youtube vids, is just an accident waiting to happen. A table saw is inherently more dangerous than eg a bandsaw anyway, because of the rising blade at the far end.

Racers":n8nqucn5 said:
You can turn the saw stop off and use it like a normal table saw, and presumably forget to turn it back on.

Pete
I really don't get the rational for that, are you sure Pete? I'm not saying you're wrong but why would it have a saw stop off feature? I mean if you have the saw stop feature why would you ever want to turn it off? Just in case you want to cut your finger off?

I've heard people mentioning the cost of broken parts, but to be honest that's kinda worth it to keep your finger

Paddy Roxburgh":39cs3nsx said:
Racers":39cs3nsx said:

Pete
I really don't get the rational for that, are you sure Pete? I'm not saying you're wrong but why would it have a saw stop off feature? I mean if you have the saw stop feature why would you ever want to turn it off? Just in case you want to cut your finger off?

I've heard people mentioning the cost of broken parts, but to be honest that's kinda worth it to keep your finger
It can be triggered by damp wood, so you can turn it off, but it will re-enable itself next time you switch the saw on, you can't forget that the 'safety feature' is off.

Back