do i need a table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Oughta start by sawing I'm not a woodworker, or carpenter, or anywhere even close. I do a lot of work with metal, and am fairly competent, though lacking a bit in finesse. I shelved my shed lately, ill add a pic of that to show something I've done lately.

shed.jpg

my girlfriend showed me the following photo, and I had to say to her, I'm not skilled enough to make that (might still be true?) - unless i bought a table saw.

shoe.jpg

Is this the case? am i correct that i could get the clean edges needed to make that, with a table saw?
One that caught my eye, for sale here locally, was this model. To my mind its not cheap.... I will use it again, and i think it would open up new avenues to me if i bought it....
Could I also build wardrobes with this do ye think, is it a suitable tool?

Metablo TS250 saw

metabo.jpg

sorry if my questions are daft, I'm not pretending to know much about it.

thanks for reading.

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,560
  • shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 1,560
  • metabo.jpg
    metabo.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 1,560
to build that item, and wardrobes from sheet material, I would look instead at a track saw.

I think someone more knowledgeable than I will be along soon to tell you that you would need a better quality saw than that to do wardrobes etc.

In the meantime I like that shed, it is very like the one I am planning. What size/height is it.

I am planning 20 by 12 and 8 ft high walls

+1 for a tracksaw. FWIW I've 'worked wood' for a living for 15 years; I've had a tracksaw since year 4 (??) and after 13 years I decided I probably ought to have a table saw. It gets used for 2 specific tasks - narrow rips in 6mm MDF and cutting wedges; that's it.

Better still, find a decent local yard who'll cut material for you.

HTH Pete

p.s.Heck of a 'shed' btw :)

If I had that space and the price were right I would def get one even tho you can make that with a good handsaw & jigsaw if you really wanted.

If you're going to get a table saw get one a bit bigger and with a cast iron table and an induction motor. I really wouldn't be without mine - so much they can do. Track saws are fine but they're mainly for sheet material. I know your current projects are in ply/mdf but I'm sure that won't always be the case.

petermillard":2y8iroz5 said:
Better still, find a decent local yard who'll cut material for you.

HTH Pete

p.s.Heck of a 'shed' btw :)

+1

If you're only planning to work with sheet goods, you don't really need one.
It comes in very handy for ripping and crosscutting and making joints when working with wood, though.

If it is a one off then find a good timber supplier and go in with a cutting list and a picture they should be able to cut the clean edges for you. Far cheaper then buying any tool. If however your girlfriend has a long list of other things she wants then a table saw or track saw will be needed.

Hello,

How are you going to make the Shaker pegs? You'd better put a wood turning lathe onto the list as well! :D

Mike.

hi guys, sorry for the late reply and thanks for all your input, I had never heard of a track saw, although I did see contractors using them onetime, i remember thinking, that's cool

So I bought a second hand Festool ts75 track saw and two rails, feeling pretty good about it lol, now all i need is a clue.....

Is there a newbie section here anywhere, - I'd like to make some wardrobes, but, I've no clue what type of wood to use. Is there particularly forgiving type of wood recommended for beginners? maybe a good channel on youtube.. Ive a lot of reading to do, looking forward to getting into it.

Oh, i didnt build the shed. I rent the house, and the landlord build the shed. He is in construction, and was more than happy for me to shelve it. I agree its a very nice shed, I am definitely lucky.

Woodbrains hi )

I've worked in engineering workshops before and even steel lathes never did much for me, if i need turned items ill be buying them off the shelf.

I have track saw and a tablesaw they both have there uses as been mentioned above. The problem you have at the moment is knowing if it is something you that you will be doing long term. If so, you should invest in quality and keep asking for advice on here. The search menue is also a useful tool for research.

Well done getting the Festool, good bit of kit. Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you start by using MRMDF (Moisture Resistant Medium Density Fibreboard), this is a sheet material that your "new" saw was basically designed for. It can be bought from a wide variety of suppliers from the big DIY sheds to any building suppliers. You can buy it plain, comes a yucky greeny colour) or it can be bought with a ready applied wood veneer in the wood of your choice. This is what most modern kitchens etc are built with, you can also buy "Edge Banding" which is a thin strip of real wood veneer, with a heat activated glue on one side. once you have sawn your various pieces of sheet to size you can then iron on the banding using a clothes iron (steam off). on any visable edges. Non visible you can leave alone for the glue when assembling the carcas.

how you stick the bits together, well there's lots of ways, screws; nails; dowels, biscuits plus many more along with tradtional joints. but thats for later.

check out youtube for vids with the words, domino, dowels, biscuits in the title and you'll learn a lot. also search the forum using the same and lots of stuff will come up

Also a very big welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of very talented and knowledgable people here who are always willing to help. A word of warning though, this woodworking thing is a bit like a box of crack coccaine flavoured pringles only worse :lol: :roll:

rgds
droogs

guys hi again. So when i started this thread, that month i blew all my money on the track saw. This month I bought a load of wood an a hitachi circular saw (animal motor on it..)

anyways so i have the wood, and a design, I'd like to start a thread and get advice on methods of construction, however im not sure where to start such a thread on this forum? I cant see a newbie section, may i ask where to start it please?

A mod may correct me, but the "Projects, workshop tours and past mistakes" seems the logical place to me. Looking forward to seeing the design and build as you progress.

As another beginner I would echo past comments with regard to the knowledge and helpfulness of so many on UKW :D .

Terry.

Hi Redd.

Also a fellow woodworking newbie. I learned a lot initially from steve ramsay on you tube. Hes a good entry level teacher of woodworking. Hes reasonably prone to mistakes but shows how hes corrected for them. There is also the new yankee workshop (norm abram). He shows some advanced level techniques and how to make some useful jigs. I wish you luck with your new toys :-D

hi there, cheers will look at those guys. Am going to start on the wardrobes in the next few days. Am really gunning to get into it.
I made myself a ghetto cutting table from an old bed base.

I realise the funds may be exhausted at the moment, but you might find a pocket hole joinery kit really useful at this point. But DON'T GET A REALLY CHEAP ONE.

I have a Kreg K4 kit, and I've looked at the UJK one that Axminster sell, which is really well made too (don't be put off by the plastic parts of the Kreg BTW, they're glass filled - super accurate mouldings and very strong). The Kreg has a how-to DVD included.

Pocket hole systems let you quickly and easily make good, strong joints for things made from MRMDF, Plywood and natural wood (and any combination). It's ideal for carcases, bookshelves, even tables.

If you enjoy what you're doing you can move on to doing more complicated things, but pocket hole joinery is an easy win.

Allow for buying more screws, as you'll use quite a few in a project (if you go UJK, they're Torx head, which is easier to find - Kreg comes with Robertson (square head) samples and that's what I use as they're very good screws).

Have fun!

Cheers Eric, that does look interesting indeed, will have to get one.

Am seeing now an addiction forming.
Made a first cut with the festool saw, the cut is so clean, its lovely.

Latest posts

Back