Decent curtain track for a rectangular bay window?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
We have some plastic curtain track in our bay window at the moment, it's flimsy and too flexible and quite frankly it's just poor.
It's screwed into the plasterboard above and over the years some of the screws have pulled out, I've needed to re-attach the mounts into stable plaster.

I think I need 3 metres of track, I don't want to spend a fortune if possible, but I'd like something that's fairly robust.
Our curtains aren't very long, although they're lined and have a bit of weight to them.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

A standard swish-type track and double the amount of fittings/brackets can help to stiffen it up as well as assist with anchoring securely into the weak substrate.

Could you attach 6mm plywood or something similar to the ceiling (screw it at 50mm centres if necessary) and then attach the track brackets to that?

Lubricate the gliders with spray furniture polish to reduce friction.

Someone else should comment, but it seems to me that a cord operated track might put less downward force onto the track than a person tugging the curtain along a manual track. This is especially so if you could beef up where the cord changes from vertical to horizontal going into the track.

Another method of fixing track fittings.
Fischer.png

I had always had problems with curtain track on a square bayed window with about 3.7 metres of length
I employed a local curtain co to come and fit they brought a bending machine to bend the track and its been there now 30 years with an electric motor doing the opening and shutting on control gear to shut at dusk and open at 7.30am
Sorry i dont know the brand but its really strong and reliable
Ian

Silent Gliss 1080 for hand drawn track.
Silent Gliss 3000 for corded.

You will have to get it bent as it needs a hydraulic bender and nylon fillers.
It will last a lifetime.

To lubricate please use silicon lubricant spay, furniture polish will work short term but tends to gum things up , so best avoided.

A standard swish-type track and double the amount of fittings/brackets can help to stiffen it up as well as assist with anchoring securely into the weak substrate.

Could you attach 6mm plywood or something similar to the ceiling (screw it at 50mm centres if necessary) and then attach the track brackets to that?

Lubricate the gliders with spray furniture polish to reduce friction.

Someone else should comment, but it seems to me that a cord operated track might put less downward force onto the track than a person tugging the curtain along a manual track. This is especially so if you could beef up where the cord changes from vertical to horizontal going into the track.
I’ve used 10/12 mm thick timber x 75mm with screws and grab adhesive and as above extra fixings to deal with the weight of the curtains. Throw the screws away that are supplied in the kit and substitute with your own . Avoid the cheap rails and go for a quality kit.

Back