Decent Brad point drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of Brad point bits? I recently bought 2 3mm ones by erbauer and they both broke within 5 minutes!

I’ve heard fisch, famag and heller mentioned but are there any others?

Cheers
Pete

Afternoon

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of Brad point bits? I recently bought 2 3mm ones by erbauer and they both broke within 5 minutes!

I’ve heard fisch, famag and heller mentioned but are there any others?

Cheers
Pete
Hi

I asked a similar question a few years ago and was recommended Fisch - I bought a set and have never regretted it. Clean, accurate holes are a thing of beauty!

IMHO breaking 3mm drill bits is unlikely due to drill bit quality. That sounds a bit rude but I’m concerned you’ll spend more and still break them. The physical strength of the bit is unlikely much different between brands. I find I snap 3mm bits when I put lateral force on them.

Thanks for all of those recommendations everyone. I use Wealden router bits and they are great so I’ll probably look to try those.

Fitzroy - no offence taken, you are possibly right. That’s why I’m probably better seeing how I get on with the Wealden ones (at approx £1.50 a go) compared to famag at more like £7-£8 a go!!

I nearly always buy Fisch, they are very good and just keep going. I tried an Irwin once and it was useless by comparison. I believe Famag are very good too.

IMHO breaking 3mm drill bits is unlikely due to drill bit quality. That sounds a bit rude but I’m concerned you’ll spend more and still break them. The physical strength of the bit is unlikely much different between brands. I find I snap 3mm bits when I put lateral force on them.

I disagree, I've used some rubbish bits over the years that are terrible compares to good ones. If you have rubbish ones that are blunt you're far more likely to snap them than a good sharp bit.

I have been quite happy with the ones I bought from Rutlands. They sell two different grades - the better ones being in M2 steel. The only downside from my point of view was that the better quality ones, only come in full millimetre sizes, whereas the cheaper ones are available in 1/2 mm size multiples. as well

Although I reserve them for quite specific tasks ( drilling the holes in my whistles) I have been quite pleased with their performance.

Back